OCC section?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCC section?

This is maybe more to Dan, Mark, and Ming than anyone else.

Has any thought been given to the possibility of starting an OCC section in the forum under Civilization II, a la Strategy, Help, et al?

I would think it would be well visited and help with the overall organization of threads.

------------------
    Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
    Frodo lives!

Good idea!
    I've recently started playing OCC, after reading about it on here, and I'm hooked!
    A whole section to swop strategies/hints etc would be really good!

Tiz

Comment

Why not a separate forum for OCC?

There didn't seem to be too much discussion (the thread died pretty quickly) last time it was discussed. Any discussion for or against this time?

Pros might include collecting all the OCC threads into a more easily separated out list to go through.

Cons might include losing people from the strategy forum and not having newer people as aware of that particular strain of playing Civ II

------------------
      Sleep is a luxury and I don't have Shakespeare's Theatre in my back yard.
      Insert witty phrase here

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by SCG on 10-13-2000 11:37 AM
        Cons might include losing people from the strategy forum and not having newer people as aware of that particular strain of playing Civ II

I don't know about that. I'd like to think I'd still visit the Strategy forum. And maybe this would be a better way of teaching newbies about OCC.

One con I can think of would be that ICSers et al would want their own section too.

But back on the pro side, if you are into OCC (and there are quite a few who are), it would sure make it easier to find what you're looking for.

It might also clean up the regular strategy forum for non-OCCers, n'est-ce pas?

------------------
        Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
        Frodo lives!

Comment

Is it possible to make "sub-directories" of the current topics. It seems that OCC belongs with Strategy, only partitioned off as its own sub-topic of Strategy.

Is this possible?
          "Three word posts suck!" - me

"...and I never will play the Wild Rover no more..." - Various

Comment

There is certainly a gap between Paul's well-presented strategy and its implementation in actual play. Although the strategy is invaluable, the practicalities of starting one's first OCC game can be quite daunting. Having just gone through the process I'd agree that it would be helpful to channel OCC matters into one area where basic details, clarifications, tips and even tutorials may be discussed.

It would be helpful eg to have some recommendations for suitable comparison games for the beginner.

Comment

judging from the traffic of the Strategy forum, an OCC forum could hurt it(beyond of course the loss of the occ threads)

just start any occ-related threads with "OCC:" and you've got yourself an easy recognizable occ thread....

Comment

Why not simply start a well-organized OCC homepage? You know, strategies, hints, tips, reports, perhaps saved games... Stuff submitted by other fellas who like the OCC games. This page will most propably be well-fed.

------------------
                Follow the masses!
                30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Mighty Carthage fought three wars:
                It was still mighty after the first one, still inhabitable
                after the second one;
                It could not be found after the third one.
                -Bert Brecht

Visit my Homepage at: http://members.xoom.com/SHaertel/Index.html
                Follow the masses!
                30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

We already have an excellent nucleus in "]http://members.home.nl/paulvdb/occ.htm] Paul's OCC Strategy Page [/url]. Perhaps Paul may be persuaded to open it up for expansion?

Comment

My first thought upon seeing this thread was to move it to the apolyton forum so MarkG and DanQ would have a better chance of seeing it. But then I remembered the other thread also... (dropped like a rock)

So, why don't people continue discussing this here.
                    I like the idea, and will bring it to their attention.
                    Any additional ideas/thoughts would be appreciated!

------------------
                    Ming
                    CivII & Off-Topic Forum Moderator
                    Ming@Apolyton.net
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

As an OCCer - I quite like the idea of a dedicated OCC forum - but come on guys - it isn't as important as getting the Great Library off the ground....

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
                      "The Great Library must be built!"
                      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Working...
                      X