• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Negative percentage

I was cruising along in "my best game ever"
    not really paying attention to my percentage
    score but watching the population creep up
    past 150 million and the score go over 3000.
    At some point I looked at the percentage
    score and it was negative--like minus 256%!
    I played the game out and finished with over
    200 million pop and 4000 score but I never
    got my percentage above minus 100%. Can
    anyone explain what happened? Is this a bug
    or a feature?

That's a bug in the older versions of Civ2. Download the 2.42 patch that fixes it.

Comment

Is this related to when you sometimes conquer a city and lose gold? I had a treasury of 20,000 gold or so and conquered a nearby city and it said "-32684 gold plundered". I then had -12,000 gold in my treasury! it reset to 0 on the next turn, but I had spent a while building that up and I was ticked.
      Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
      ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Father Beast:

I believe the bug involving negative treasury numbers happens when one engages an enemy who has more than $29,999 in their treasury at the start of hostilities.

Somehow the computer doesn't like it. Particularly if you, too, have more than $29,999 in the treasury. That's why negative numbers pop up.

Usually I just grimace and go into the cheat menu to lower the treasury amounts of my opponent to $29,900. That fixes the problem. And, IMHO, that "cheat" menu is there because the programmers KNEW it would be necessary, considering the cheats the AI has available (like "finding" newly laid cities).

CYBERAmazon

------------------
        Resistance is futile. Lower your shields and disable your weapons. You will be assimilated into the Borg Collective.
        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Actually the truth is that it is not really a bug at all. It is something that happens when computers do math on a 2 byte interger value. When one is added to the value 32767 it becomes -32768. The bug is that they should have used a four byte integer so that the value would not roll over until it reached two-billion.

Comment

2.000.000 should be enough... but is doesn't explain the purple in the Demographics.

------------------
            Greetings,
            Earthling7
            To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

Working...
            X