Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cpu @ 100%

hi,
    when I play civ2 the CPU is always at 100%. I have an althon 1000 so my guess it's painting the screen all the time with no waiting. Is there anyway to get it not to use all of the CPU cause CPU temp gets too high due to the high temp in room some times.

Check if there are any system tool running in
    the background, like a system monitor.

If not... Oh, well...
    :::::::::::::
    Craftsman
    :::::::::::::

Comment

When I first read your title I first thought you meant that the AI was playing at a 100% human level. I was flabergasted. Then I read your post. You might want to check for background programs. Virus checkers or Instant Messenger are very likely causes. It doesn't need to be worried about unless you are having problems.

------------------
      If someone doesn't agree with you, you haven't explained yourself well enough-Luther Ely Smith

She turned me into a newt...well I got better- Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

How many boards could the Mongols horde, if the Mongol hordes got bored?- jcarkey

Comment

it's definely CivII that is taking all the CPU - it should do the same you everyone else too

oh well

Comment

Civ2 is a 16-bits application. Most of these tend to grab as much CPU as possible, since the platform they were built for didn't really support true multitasking anyway. Nothing wrong with Civ2, other than that it's old.

C.

Comment

So is that why all my other programs slow down when i load civ? Hmph, you learn something new every day!

Comment

16bit? Hmm yes I guess that explains it Was it written for Win 3.1 or something? I guess it can't yield or wait so other programs can run

Btw if civ II is slowing other ppl's programs down, you can put civII on a low priority

thanks

Comment

Yep. Written for Win 3.1.
                Remember, the game came in february? 1996, and win95 arrived in september/october? 1995. The development story you find in the manual says Reynolds/Meier used well over a year on it, too.

C.

Comment

well, no matter how old the game is, it should be working just fine on a more recent system.. let's hope that comp doesn't get fried by CIV2

Comment

Working...
                  X