In case Bush becomes the prez...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In case Bush becomes the prez...

...will Apolyton finally uncensor the name 'Dck'? I still hold that having to write **** Cheney always looks like you meant to say Fuck Cheney.
    "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
    "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

heh...

**** cheney...

Comment

Funny how candidate's names are censored but other words like "sex" or "$uck" arn't.
      "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
      "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
      "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

Comment

i have notice that some times **** is not censored or is that only in peoples sigs or when they edit their posts?

Comment

The autocensor doesn't do a thing to stop those who want to use words like "di<e>ck". It just makes life difficult for those who are not trying to swear, and who don't realize that the words they are typing in will be censored (i.e. those talking about **** (or is that Di<e>ck) Cheney).
          One year at Apolyton with the same username and location!

Comment

The autocensor is exremely easy to get around -- it works by simply doing a case-insensitive search through the post for words on the list of banned words. If a word appears nowhere in the post, the autocensor finds nothing to complain about. For example: Di<font></font>ck Cheney. If you look carefully, you will realize that the word Di<font></font>ck never appears in this post.

------------------
            Thus spake the Dragon
            <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Lews Therìn (edited November 15, 2000).]</font>
            Thus spake the Dragon

Comment

Lews, rather than using the < font > < / font > method, you can just insert a < e >

Much faster.

Comment

Funny how candidate's names are censored but other words like "sex" or "$uck" arn't.

This candidate's name just happens to be a word that is censored, not the other way around.

----------------
                Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

You people have been naughty

There are ways to improve the autocensor to catch these things
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

The autocensor is a very literal-minded critter. Humans can always come up with a new method of getting around the censor. For example,

Dìck
                    Ðick
                    D¡ck

F<font face="symbol">m</font>ck
                    main(i,_){for(!_||(--i,main(i+2,i["FHhhTBFHdhTBFBQT\2TBF&]zRF$hh*:FHhh+&FBIsbDF"]));
                    i&&_>1;printf("%s",_-70?_&1?"[]":" ":(_^=_,"\n")),_/=2);} /*- Mark -*/

Comment

way the go MvW!

Comment

edit: I just noticed that he included my suggestion, but here are a few more:

diçk
                        ƒuck
                        <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Murgatroyd (edited November 16, 2000).]</font>
                        One year at Apolyton with the same username and location!

Comment

Which once again begs the question: Why does ACS continue to use this autocensor? Is it so you can say you're 'concerned' about the issue? Seems to me someone acting in a rude and disrespectful way should be dealt with by the mods. It is one of the reasons you claim we need mods, no?

------------------
                          "These were giants [The ‘Hellfire’ Club]. They had standards - not like these whimpering mashers who keep fouling our headlines today."

Free the D**d Threads!!
                          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Wezil:

Your implication that we are using the autocensor because we are "lazy" in acting as moderators is insulting and unfounded.

Like any administrator we have tools which help to make our position more manageable -- in other words, more efficient, and the autocensor allows us to do that. In turn, those benefits are passed along to our visitors.

----------------
                            Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

Sure, you could always use words such as "bleep" to replace the naughty ones
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X