Permanent Signature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permanent Signature

Is there any reason why there can't be a checkbox in our profiles which dictates that the "Show Signature" box on the posting screen should be checked by defualt? It just seems a little silly that people always have to check the box before they hit the submit button.

- MKL
    - mkl

There`s no guarantee that everyone would always want their sig at the bottom of every post. Ming, for instance, only uses his sig when doing his mod duties; when he`s just casually posting, he doesn`t use it. A lot of people are essentially the same; they don`t want to use their sig all the time, and having to go into your profile to change this is a bit annoying.
    "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

since there are still many people with pretty much extra big signatures who i can easily imagine using this feature, i say
      NO WAY!

Comment

Paul, well in that instance, he'd have the default signature position as "off". The setting in the profile would only be a default anyway. If don't want to use your sig for a particular post, just uncheck the box. No harder than what people have to do now everytime they want to use it.

MarkG, I'm a bit bemused as to why you think adding this feature will cause signature problems. Fact is, most people with huge signatures post them nearly all the time anyway. I agree that signatures get out of hand, and yeah I'd be happy to see something done about it, but I would have thought the solution would be to limit the characters in the signature field, rather than not implementing a time-saving, user-friendly feature like I've suggested.

- MKL
        - mkl

Comment

I don't see how the fact that the Cookie contains information about the default state of a checkbox affects the length of posts....

And if you want to decrease sig length, remove the stupid line of Dashes.

Comment

There already is a feature that limits the length of signatures. Most would consider it a pretty generous limit, and only a few people think it's not enough

And as far as it would be a "time saving feature"
            HA HA HA HA! We are talking about one or two seconds to check the box... That's not asking too much
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I never remember checking the box, In fact I don't even know what my sig is...

------------------
              "‘Snapcase was reliable,’ said Mr. Sock gloomily. ‘Remember when he made his horse a city councillor?’

‘You’ve got to admit it wasn’t a bad councillor. Compared to some of the others.’

‘As I recall, the others at the time were a vase of flowers, a heap of sand, and three people who had been beheaded.’"

--Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Comment

*holds up hands*

Hey, look Ming, I was only trying to help. If you don't want suggestions to possibly make the site better, perhaps you should say so straight up.

Personally, I think the extra functionality would be helpful for your users. What's more, I don't think it would be hard to do, and no one has said there'd be a degredation in performance if it was implemented. If that's the case, then fine, I submit, but at least give me a good reason.

- MKL
                - mkl

Comment

No one?

- MKL
                  - mkl

Comment

MidKnight Lament

i agree with you

i think that an option to automatically enable a signature would be a useful feature

it doesn't seem like a it would be a technical challenge to Mark or Dan nor could i see how it would decrease system performance

if signatures got out of hand maybe they could just make the maximum signature length smaller

just my opinion

korn469

Comment

Thanks korn469. Exactly what I was thinking.

Long time, no see...

- MKL
                      - mkl

Comment

Don't worry, Rural Ranger/LightEning, The resident Proxomitron wizard and superhero runs to help!

1. Download Proxomitron from http://www.proxomitron.cjb.net if you're really so stupid that you haven't already DLed it.

2. Configure your Proxomitron so that it runs and works properly.

3. Open your Proxomitron, choose "Web Page" from edit filters, then "New", then add this info:

Filter name: 'Always signature at Apolyton'
                        Allow for multiple matches : not needed to check, so don't check.

URL match: '*apolyton*' ( This is just a quickie, you can specify the whole paths even to the forum numbers if you want)

Bounds match: I don't even know what this means... nothing.

Byte limit: Not much is needed, I left 256, but you can put a smaller number for optimizing.

Matching expression: 'INPUT TYPE="CHECKBOX" NAME="Signature" VALUE="yes"'

Replacement text: 'INPUT TYPE="CHECKBOX" NAME="Signature" VALUE="yes" CHECKED'

Activate the filter, apply the changes and ta-da! There you have your permanent signatures. And MarkG didn't need to do anything.

------------------
                        - I must have a perverse keyboard - tonic

Comment

Well waddaya know - it works!

------------------
                          Thus spake the Dragon
                          Thus spake the Dragon

Comment

Thanks for writing all that out. I'll give it a go when I get home in a few days.

Still, I can't see why it's not possible for the Mods to have a default set in our profile

------------------
                            - MKL
                            "I'm OK. How are you? Thanks for asking, thanks for asking."
                            Shameless Plug: http://www.poetic-license.org
                            - mkl

Comment

Working...
                            X