No announcement yet.

Help me decide! SMAC or EU??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't seen the Planetary Pack over here, so I would presume it is an American product only.
    We're back!
    http://www.civgaming.net/forums

Comment

I found both SMAC and Alien Crossfire at Softwarefirst, but no mention of the Planetary pack, either there or at other websites I searched. (The 2 were a tenner each as you thought, Mark13, so I was wrong - in this instance! - about UK prices replacing $ with £.)

Seems as tho' you were more fortunate in Finland, Jeje2! But I'll keep looking...
      Ilkuul

Every time you win, remember: "The first shall be last".
      Every time you lose, remember: "The last shall be first".

Comment

I picked up the Planetary Pack in a UK Electronics Boutique for about a tenner a few months ago - haven't seen it since though.
        The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
        Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
        All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
        "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by mark13 on 04-23-2001 06:05 PM
          I haven't seen the Planetary Pack over here, so I would presume it is an American product only.

I had trouble finding SMACX in my time, since all shops here in Finland were selling Planetary pack at the time.

=> So I think you should be able to find Planetary pack somewere.

Comment

Hey i may help.

I'm a TBS fan, naturaly, but I also love some RTS games like HomeWorld. EU is to "real". Real life sucks, so why would you want a game that mimics it?
            It hurts to be on the cutting edge!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Chowlett on 04-24-2001 07:14 PM
              I picked up the Planetary Pack in a UK Electronics Boutique for about a tenner a few months ago - haven't seen it since though.

You must have got the last one - I tried today, and they're no longer stocking it...
              Ilkuul

Comment

I'd have to that if you only get one, definetly get SMAC(X). I just got EU as, yes I'm sad to say it's true, I've grown a little tired of SMAC. Of course, I've played SMAC almost exclusively since it was released, and before that Civ II and before that Civ I (my very first PC game If you don't count the Commodore 64), so I definetly got my money's worth. And I know I'll go back to SMAC eventually, AND I will invest in Civ III too. But EU is definetly a good game, it's quite different, and includes a lot of stuff that I always wanted in Civ, but wasn't practical for the scope of the game. So if you ever see it cheap, and you can spare the cash, I recommend picking up EU too. (Or if your rich and you can afford too)

------------------
                Argo
                "People want to believe what they see is true, even if it's only for the time they are in the playhouse. That's what theatre is, don't you understand? Showing people what they wish were true."
                -Robertson Davies "World of Wonders"
                -Argo

"Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching. Sing like nobody's listening."

Comment

Thanks, Argo, it's good to hear from someone who's tried both... In fact I've gone ahead and ordered EU, because I've been having so much trouble locating SMAC/X in my local stores. I still hope to get at least SMAC itself at a reduced rate, with the expansion pack later if I can still track it down...
                  Ilkuul

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ceci n'est pas Snapcase on 04-22-2001 07:12 AM
                    And you ask this in a SMAC forum, with all the lo--, er, I mean devotees who are still playing SMAC the only ones seing it? Get EU. SMAC is outdated, gets wearisome quickly, and lacks the most vital ingredient of Civ2, the great customisability. I stopped playing it within 3 months of release.

Yes, I loved the customisability of Civ2. Oh look, the green faction is attacking me again. And now the blue faction, which is completely identical in every respect to the green faction, is attacking me on the other side.

Totally fascinating.

(I played Civ for years, and Civ2. But SMAC smacks the pants off both, heh heh, if you can cope with the complexity of the game.

Not that I want to be controversial Ceci n'est pas quelque chose baffling )

Team 'Poly

Comment

Oh, and Mis - they're called 'civs'
                      [This message has been edited by mark13 (edited April 30, 2001).]
                      We're back!
                      http://www.civgaming.net/forums

Comment

Working...
                      X