• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealurk pros and cons

Sealurks, what's the use?

The pros:

1. I can only think of one, killing units on the shore
    2. This cannot be a pro, since the AI know's where your units are, hidden or not (so you know what I'm talking about)

The cons:

1. Very rarely do you actually catch it.
    2. Can't transport units.
    3. Can't move freely in fungus (i think this is a bug)
    4. You can build it only late in the game, better spend those minerals on something else

Tell me I'm wrong. Tell me there's other uses for my lone sealurk (great boil, great pet, poor warrior)
    Don't drink and drive, smoke and fly.
    Anti-bush and anti-Bush.
    "Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon

Yeah, I'm a little miffed that they don't move freely through fungus too. I guess that's the price you pay for invisibility. In MP it's like a sub only it doesn't carry anything and defends with psi powers. Against the AI its probably worthless. Against a human it's a promotion up from worthless.

Comment

Pod Popping! Just make sure you save movement points, 'cause I think native life will attack a sealurk.

Good warior against enemy navy if:

1. High moral (you did say DemonBoil, right?) as navy is typically green in the early game.
      2. You have the Neural Amplifier (since they can always find you).
      3. You are lacking fusion but your opponent isn't.
      4. You have the Dream twister.
      5. You have a severely bad weapon to enemy armor ratio.

Basically, all the normal advantages of native life. Now if you're asking 'whats the advantage of a Sea Lurk over a Isle of the Deep?', the answer is that it attacks Coastal Bases (big whoop, right?).

Personally, I've always wanted to try the Spore Launcher/IoD combo, but I've never gotten around to it.
      Fitz. (n.) Old English
      1. Child born out of wedlock.
      2. Bastard.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Fitz on 04-20-2001 04:46 PM
        Pod Popping! Just make sure you save movement points, 'cause I think native life will attack a sealurk.

Nope, strangelly the AI alien lifeforms seem ignore my lone sealurks (the invisibility thing strangely works against aliens!). I popped several pods with IoD but when it came to the next turn, the IoD just ignored my sealurk and moved on to my shores...
        ... This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality...
        ... Pain is an illusion...

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by SMAC Fanatic on 04-21-2001 12:40 PM
          Well, say your Treatymate has got a ship sitting right next to one of your bases or something and you hate that. (Morgan does it to me all the time - why can't you order ships out of your territory?) You don't want to risk a Vendetta by probing, so just wander a Sealurk up next to him and release it into the wild! It works wonders, trust me!

Sorry, but I couldn't catch what you meant by "release it into the wild" :P

------------------
          -----
          Long live THE HIVE!
          -----
          Long live THE HIVE!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Jokka das Trevas on 04-21-2001 03:11 PM

Well, if you release a native lifeform into the wild, they will usually go and attack the closest unit, which in the situation presented above, is your ally's ship. If you attack the ally directly with the sealurk in your command, you will be forced to pronounce vendetta and suffer a reputation hit. But by releasing it into the wild, the sealurk attacked the ship on it's own accord, so you cannot be blamed, even though you set the assault up...so in other words, your reputation would not be stained. And in case you don't know how to, to release a unit into the wild, just click the turn over control option in the action menu. If the unit is in an ally's territory, then two options will come up, one for releasing into the wild, and one for turning it over to your ally.

Comment

Well, say your Treatymate has got a ship sitting right next to one of your bases or something and you hate that. (Morgan does it to me all the time - why can't you order ships out of your territory?) You don't want to risk a Vendetta by probing, so just wander a Sealurk up next to him and release it into the wild! It works wonders, trust me!
              "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Fitz on 04-20-2001 04:46 PM

Good warior against enemy navy if:

1. High moral (you did say DemonBoil, right?) as navy is typically green in the early game.
                2. You have the Neural Amplifier (since they can always find you).
                3. You are lacking fusion but your opponent isn't.
                4. You have the Dream twister.
                5. You have a severely bad weapon to enemy armor ratio.

Question: how do plan to get the twister without getting the Fusion Power first?

It's close to midnight and something evil's is lurking in the dark.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Jokka das Trevas on 04-21-2001 03:11 PM

On that unit's turn, hit Ctrl-Shift-U, and it says "release into the wild?" yes/no.

I've never noticed that Lurks can't move through fungus. Even before I have the XenoDome. I captured one fairly early in my current game, when the Gaians still had the Dome.

But when all is said and done, I haven't found them to be that useful. Pod-popping with IoD's is more practical for AA's, and beyond the early game alien life isn't that good for attacking bases or other ships.

Lurks have a great, creepy sound, however, and that appeals to me.

Comment

Working...
                  X