Fungal Payloads: Do people use them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fungal Payloads: Do people use them?

Does anyone actually use this? I've never used it. Cost too much, and my bases are usually lacking sufficient minerals. What does it actually do? Besides xenofungi, does it also include locusts and mindworms and all those in the package? Kind of like eco-damage consequence in a tidy, controled package..?

I have never heard of fungal payloads... how does that work???
    Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, hate me because I'm a rat-bastard.

Comment

Once you have the ability to launch missiles you can equip a missile with a fungal payload. I always design my own units so I don't know if SMAC will automatically design them for you. Just go into the design workshop, choose a missile chassis and equip it with a fungal payload. The area of effect is like the planet buster but it dumps fungus all over. BTW, you can also make missiles with tectonic payloads to cause earthquakes and raise land.

------------------
      Brother Locus of the Peacekeepers
      Brother Locus of the Peacekeepers

Comment

Well, fungal payloads are mentioned in the manual. I recently used them in a Transcend level game. They just plant fungus in randomly selected squares around the activation square. This can produce a fungal tower, or at least a baby one, and spawn boils. After winning my most recent game I carried on for few turns, turning my enemy`s continent into a seething mass of fungus - great fun. After a few turns his cities were rendered defenseless by boils.

Comment

Oh how fun!!!! I'll have to try it... I just uninstalled SMAC in a feeble attempt to re-interest myself in writing my Master's thesis... ugh!!

So what kind of payload is used for a "tectonic" missle?

------------------

Comment

I could be wrong here, but I think that fungal payloads and tectonic payloads are new weapons that comes with SMACX. So if you just have SMAC, then probably you won't have them.

Tectonic payloads could be great fun if the world is sinking or if you wanto make the Pirates life suck. he spend so many years bulding kelp farms, tidal harness, mining platforms and all the facilities he needed to boast this terraforms, and what happens, with a tectonic strike all of it is replace by unterraformed land. Woahaha! (suppose to be a laughing sound)
            [This message has been edited by knowhow2 (edited March 09, 2001).]
            It's close to midnight and something evil's is lurking in the dark.

Comment

Knowhow2: I suggest you use "Muhahahahah!"

Comment

but the AI doesn't use tectonic payloads do they? my personal preference is playing the pirates, and if the AI does use them, i'd have to make a beeline for the flechette thingy and the orbital defense pods.

by the way, is there anyway to tweak the unit design thing so that instead of a fungal payload, you have a forest payload, or a kelp payload, or something like that, that's less painfull, but quite fun.... all those solar collectors and 4+ farms exchange for forests..

Comment

Blake: yeah thats actually sounds better, thanx. I finally know how to laugh at a beaten opponent and be cruel. Muhahahaha!!!!
                  It's close to midnight and something evil's is lurking in the dark.

Comment

I think that these come too late in the game. With Fusion reactors, you need 5 of these (10 square effect) to be really good on enemy continent, and they're quite costly as it comes to the minerals. At cost of 5 of these, I'd better create a nice infantry / rover mix to be of more threat than this fungal rocket can be.
                    And yes, both tectonic and fungal payloads are new in SMAX, not available in SMAC. Also, you can't create a "Forest Payload" by editing the smacx.file, but this can be, of course, done by editing the source code of the game, what surely isn't what are you going to do, I assume.

------------------
                    Solver - http://www.aok.20m.com
                    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

obviously not. i'm no programmer. i'm just a gamer.

Comment

Once I made just three and turned Domani's continent into trash. Combined with psi units I managed to wipe out his presence on that island but sadly now it is of no use to me.
                        "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
                        "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
                        "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

Comment

When I have a lot of the techs & secrete projects that give you fungus bonuses, I like to start an invasion with fungal missiles
                          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Working...
                          X