Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Create Faction Picture Files (.pcx)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Create Faction Picture Files (.pcx)

I've been dabbling with the text files to create new factions, but I don't know how to create the picture files to go along with them. I think there are others who are interested in doing this as well. Anyone who has knowledge of what it takes to create these faction picture files (.pcx) please feel free to post your comments here. I'm sure we'd all appreciate it.
    Thanx,
    WR

quote:

Originally posted by Reichw on 02-19-2001 04:01 PM
    I've been dabbling with the text files to create new factions, but I don't know how to create the picture files to go along with them. I think there are others who are interested in doing this as well. Anyone who has knowledge of what it takes to create these faction picture files (.pcx) please feel free to post your comments here. I'm sure we'd all appreciate it.
    Thanx,
    WR

PCX files can be saved from a number of different available editors such as Paint Shop Pro. I would start with a suitable TIFF file (16 million colors) and resize it to the proper dimensions after which I'd reduce the colors (I believe PCX is 256) and then save as a PCX. That should do it.

Resizing from a GIF file is not reccomended because the colors usually get screwed up. If you have only a GIF - up the colors to 16 million in your editor and then resize it.

Comment

if you look at the faction.pcx (and faction2.pcx, faction3.pcx) files, you'll see that everything is well labeled, and you just have to paste in your new pictures.

The only important note is that these files use color tables, and you need to stick to the SMAC color tables. Photoshop can take any picture and force it into SMAC's color table... BUT you also need to note that Color 0 is the transparent color, and colors 1-16 are NOT the same between SMAC and SMAX, which is why some things look a little different. No matter what you do, you need to make sure you stick to the SMAC or SMAX color table, and don't use color 0 for anything except the transparent parts.

If you want a nice template for making walls around your cities, go here: http://www.crosswinds.net/~smaccf/
      (under Faction Utilities / Graphics Overview)
      To secure peace is to prepare for war.

Comment

soon i should be able to post a tutorial on my site, only for photoshop at first, paint shop to follow though!

------------------
        –III THE NETWORKNODE III–
        Custom Factions for SMAC & SMACX
        Submit your own Faction!
        www.civgaming.net/citizens/networknode
        networknode@lycos.net
        > the networknode <
        Custom Factions for SMAC & SMACX
        www.networknode.org
        networknode@lycos.net

Comment

Working...