No announcement yet.

Phases of the game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever played directed research in Transcend with a "good tech/wonder snatching faction" (I rarely play directed research), maybe I'll have to give that a try. Kudos to you to having done it though I pretty much go for the same strategy as the one you discribed except it's much more of a pain with blind =(. Have to switch back and forth between discover route and build route until I get the pre req for IA and usually by the time I get IA I have just about all the basic ones that I didn't want in the first place, blech. Has anyone managed to get all the wonders WITH blind research under transcend?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Xarathas on 01-05-2001 06:20 PM
      Has anyone managed to get all the wonders WITH blind research under transcend?

THAT's really the question! As all answers show, it is possible to get all SP's if You take some sort of advantage (not playing transcendent, not playing random geographical settings, not playing against random ai factions, playing directed research).

To ask it clear again: Is it possible to get ALL SP's on this conditions: HUGE RANDOM planet, RANDOM erosion and other geographical settings, RANDOM AI factions, and, most important, BLIND RESEARCH! The last means, that You have to get all of the early SP's without crawlers, perhaps even without mineral restrictions lifted!

OH, I FORGOT ONE! Of course I am speaking of BUILDING the SP's yourself, not of conquering the SP-bases from the AI!

The reason for me asking this question is simple. Playing under the conditions listed above, I always get only one to three of all the early SP's, and because of this, I am always behind some AI faction in the early mid game, and I am nearly always loosing all early mid game SP's. So, I am asking myself, Is this normal, or do I make some mistakes, and if, what mistakes?

[This message has been edited by Skanderbeg (edited January 09, 2001).]
      [This message has been edited by Skanderbeg (edited January 09, 2001).]

Comment

Wow all of this input on acquiring all of the SPs. I have found all of it to be quite interesting.

But there is another way to do it. Although it is not for the weak of heart or weak of muscle.

Step 1)
        Build a few skimship probe teams. Send them to at least 1 of each of your opponents bases to "infiltrate the datalinks." That way you can always keep tabs on the other factions.

Step 2)
        Switch to Green economics long enough that you can capture a few isles of the deep (or build a couple, but captured ones remain independent of any base and thus do not consume support resources)

Step 3)
        If any other faction has the outright gall to beat you to a SP, load up a few of your best crack troops on to your captured isles of the deep and go capture the city that SP is located in. After the embarassment of losing a few garrisons (not to mention a base) the other faction will likely be willing to at least sign a cease fire.

I'll admit, you won't have too many friends, but hey, if you control the planet WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only time this may be a problem is if the prized city is landlocked deep into enemy territory. Then you have to take out a whole line of enemy bases just to get to the prize. But in my opinion the ensuing carnage is half the fun.

"My dear girl don't flatter yourself. What I did this evening was for king and country. You don't think it gave me any pleasure do you?

--- James Bond

[This message has been edited by niteowl (edited January 17, 2001).]
        Read my SMAC fiction @ http://apolyton.net/forums/register.php?a=act&u=8338&i=978930000

Give your comments @ http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8530

Comment

::blushing a flattering shade of scarlet at Og's praise::

But thank you sir!

And I'd have to agree...there's not much to be added to the recipie on how to snag all the SP's....I've never kept track of it in a Blind game, but that really DOES sound like a challenge....::as he ponders::

-=Vel=-
          The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Working...
          X