No announcement yet.

Brian Reynolds Leaves Firaxis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You all have seen the Clash of Civilizations AI stuff, haven't you? If you're really interested in coding AI, perhaps you should trot on over there: clash.apolyton.net

Comment

Regarding Robot Wars:

You can play a version of this with the game MindRover, wherein you wire together components on small vehicles to program to accomplish various tasks, ranging from races to bumper-cars to rocket duels. The programming is accomplished by the attachment of wires and setting the information that flows down them.

There's a demo available at: http://www.mindrover.com/

[This message has been edited by James Sterrett (edited February 10, 2000).]

Comment

quote:

Guys you dont program in c++ and NOT use object oriented code.

Are you trying to tell us that C++ magically forces one into using OO methodologies, or that there's no point to programming C++ if you're just going to use it "as a better C"? Because I've seen some pretty egregious examples of crappy non-OO C++ code in my travels...

Comment

To throw in my tuppence for the thread:

I heard that there are two possibilities behind the Microprose loss of the Civilization flagship. 1) Sid Meier left Microprose amicably because he and his close partners wished to diversify their programming and focusses. 2) Sid left Microprose because he was a difficult person to work with and Microprose couldn't contain him and his ego.

I think there's no doubt as to which version of these I myself prefer to believe, but there was also a slight mix-up in the exact wording of Brian's annoucement of his departure. To begin with, the announcement hinted at a "personal problems with other members got in the way and I'm leaving", which was later (truthfully or untruthfully) changed to a "I stress that no personal problems caused my departure: I've been misquoted".

As I say, I personally don't think that there is much support for these (possibly slanderous) implications, but it's perhaps important not to just ignore them if you're trying to get to the bottom of the question.

------------------
          "In all creation, there can be no task more onerous or tedious than that of playing God." - Stephen Fry, 'The Liar'.
          "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

If a small, insignificant dweeb such as myself has a mighty ego, imagine how inflated Sid Meiers must be! I agree with you Alinestra Covelia, Sid must be hell to work with.

Bkeela.
            Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Sid left Microprose because they were having serious financial trouble & had to get bought out first by Spectrum Holobyte & them Hasbro. In case you've not noticed Microprose haven't released a decent game since Wild Bill left.

Comment

Just to further punctuate my general ignorance:

Is Microprose at all affiliated with Microsoft? Pardon me if I'm wrong... I was just musing on the unfortunate resemblance between the two names.

------------------
                "In all creation, there can be no task more onerous or tedious than that of playing God." - Stephen Fry, 'The Liar'.
                "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Negative, Alinestra, MicroProse is not associated with Microsoft.

MicroProse is a division of Hasbro Interactive.

----------------
                  Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

Bkeela and AC,
                    Sure alot of successful people are egomaniacs, however, you could not be more wrong about Sid.

Greg Foertsch
                    FIRAXIS GAMES

Comment

Just wanted to make sure my nose is clean:

I don't believe what the dissentive few say about Sid Meier - I was merely bringing that to light and asking if anyone else had heard that.

And in any case, I don't think that the personality of the designer has much bearing to how I ought to view the game...the fact that I love Civ, Civ2, and SMAC/SMAX should be all that concerns me.

Does Mr Meier have any nephews or nieces? Having seen the video of him talking about SMAC and the design process, I was suddenly struck by what a cute uncle-y sort of guy he looked! Awwww...so sweet...

[looks around quickly]

Ahem. Yes. Moving on... [straightens hair, clears throat]

------------------
                      "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Working...
                      X