Automate a game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automate a game?

I was just fooling around with SMAC and trying to recreate something pretty fun that I'd heard was possible - leaving a game to run entirely controlled by the computer AI, and the player just spectating (although they made mention of having to keep the ENTER key taped down, so presumably a player can jump in at will to resume play).

Does anybody know what Scenario settings I have to do in order to keep this going? I heard that it was good entertainment for a couple of spare hours, and that's pretty much what I have until the end of June.

I'd be interested in seeing the AI play using all 7 factions against each other.
    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Hi Ali, long time no see ! Welcome back

My guess would be to set governors on all bases, and automate all units, but I don't know if it's possible to have the game run 100% by itself.

Aredhran

Comment

You have to start a game, then go the scenario editor and turn over control of your faction to the AI. The enter key ensures all the warning boxes are cleared. Apart from that, I don't think there are any special settings required.
      The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
      Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
      All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
      "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

Hmm. How exactly do I go about turning over control of my faction to the AI? I have tried Shift F3 but that didn't work the way I'd planned. What needs to be done?
        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Good question. I couldn't see how to do it either ...
          Team 'Poly

Comment

I've done this several times.

There is a menu item on the scenario editor that alows one to "switch sides." Pick a faction. You then are given two options, take control or let the AI take control. If you select the latter, the game will run on full automatic until a pop up notice is given. Thus the tape on the enter key - I use a weight on a letter opener.

What you see is the faction you gave control to play. If you want to seen your own faction play, take control of the first faction, and then surrender control to your original faction.

For some reason though, this is not fullproof. The computer will sometimes "hang" at a particular point, in an endless loop. But it interesting to stop the game from time to time and see how the various factions are doing.

Ned
            http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

We used to do this in college with Warlords II and Civ 1, let it run overnight and see where everyone is when you wake up. Or just sit there and mindlessly stare at it.

Comment

now why would you want to do that?
                Don't drink and drive, smoke and fly.
                Anti-bush and anti-Bush.
                "Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon

Comment

sometimes the mood just strikes you.

Comment

Working...
                  X