X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAM Artillery

I've recently designed and used this unit:

(8)-1-2 : SAM Chaos Artillery or Battery

I've had several enemy neddlejets come to attack and then on my next turn, I bombarded the needlejets and they ALL got destroyed (not all at once though, built several of these devils).

Is this a bug or another breakthough of my heavenly brain ?
    ... This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality...
    ... Pain is an illusion...

Why would you think it's a bug?
    Do you think the behavior you observed is contrary to the mechanisms stated for the game?
    I invite you to check your intuition by yourself, as long as you can: that's the best way to learn something. Of course we'll be glad to give you advices also, where needed.
    Did you check the combat strentgh ratio in the combat display, and/or the declared game odds? Do you think that the outcome is in contrast with that preliminary information?
    Did you observe how a normal needlejet defends against an attack (which can only be a SAM attack of course)?

Do you think that the artillery ability plays a significant role in that kind of combat?
    Have you thought to test the same kind of attack, that is SAM land units against needlejets, without artillery?

In short, did you think to verify whether an 8-1-2 would have behaved differently than a (8)-1-2, and draw your conclusions?

Let us know.
    I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

Oh God... all those guestions ^. I am SURE that if a 8-1-2 tried attacking a needlejet you couldn't do it because there isn't SAM. Now why do you need to ask so many questions? Yes, you should be able to attack the neddlejets with a normal <8>-1-2 (SAM Chaos Rover), and destroy it but with altillery you are, I think, cancelled the hasty assault penalties, you can attack from the artillery range (that I AM sure of), and I need to test out if the altitute bonuses work against needlejets.

I only ASKED if it was a bug because I've never used this before and I haven't heard anyone else using it before. Also the needlejet (which was 10% damaged) 'died' strait after my first bombardment.

Now please D.I.Y. .

PS. And no I didn't look at the unit attack/defence ratios.
      [This message has been edited by Cybergod (edited April 15, 2001).]
      ... This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality...
      ... Pain is an illusion...

Comment

I'm the SAM Artillery #1 fan, (or prehaps one and only fan?) Not for it's use against Needles, but for killing stacks of locusts.

I do not consider it a bug at all, the main anomoly is that somewhere it is said "Artillery can only completely destroy naval units", but you can destroy air units completely.

Btw, it doesn't work in SMAC, along with artillery in general.

Comment

Killing locusts? Hmmm.. I must use this device, this SAM Artillery. I'm being worm-raped to death in my current game, one fungal pop after another, and a -3 planet rating doesn't help empath choppers.

But that's beside the point.
          Don't drink and drive, smoke and fly.
          Anti-bush and anti-Bush.
          "Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon

Comment

Working...
          X