Pass the Oxygen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pass the Oxygen

I read in some SMAC newsgroup that some guy always elevates his capitol city to the highest elevation and surrounds it with eschelon mirrors.

Why would this be a good idea given a 3 tile sep between bases?

How would this be done?

Doesn't doing this crunch some enhancements already present?

i see no harm in that but only if its on the easternmost part of your territory(and you want to dry out a neighbouring faction ) or your base to the east is surrounded by condensers. but 3 tile separation? i usually do 4 to the east west north and south or 5 diagonally. what do you mean how would this be done? by pushing ] after discovering ecological engineering.

[This message has been edited by TKG (edited February 19, 2001).]
    [This message has been edited by TKG (edited February 19, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by TKG on 02-19-2001 04:26 PM
      what do you mean how would this be done? by pushing ] after discovering ecological engineering.

I'm not really that stupid. What I meant was - how do you do it in order to localize your base on the pinnacle of the elevation or does that really matter? I suppose one could terraform around it so as to create that.

And yes - many here advocate a 3 tile sep or a base every 3 tiles.

[This message has been edited by lbores (edited February 22, 2001).]

Comment

Localizing at the pinnacle wouldn't matter. You want everything with a mirror on it at 3000+ elevation.

Here is a quick tip when building energy parks (areas away from your bases, full of raised land with mirrors and the other compounding energy thingy - totally blanking on the name now). Plop a base down, raise the land, starve the base down to 1 and build another colony pod for the next park location. This will hugely cut down on your land-raising costs.

Comment

Kin, can you raise a base square? I thought you couldn't. Or maybe the hotkey lets you while the menu doesn't. That would be typical firaxis bull****.
          Fitz. (n.) Old English
          1. Child born out of wedlock.
          2. Bastard.

Comment

Fitz

I don't know a way raise the base square itself but if you raise an adjacent square (once or twice depending on their respective elevation) the base square must come up.

Ibores

The most effective way to raise land is to pull up the peaks. Raising the highest land in an area will usually pull up a whole bunch of other squares due to the fact that adjacent squares must be within 1 1000 m band of each other. However, be careful of the effect on raininess for bases.

I find terraforming up useful for a whole bunch of things

1. Creating a land link to useful territory or to an enemy
            2. Isolating oceans-- I love cutting Svens empire into disconnected parts
            3. Energy parks
            4. Simply creating more land to build
            5. Combatting sea rises
            6. Making some better arable land

I just recently was told that terraforming down will always permit a borehole on the lowered square (as long as no adjacent boreholes) so I may have to revisit terraforming down as an option.

Comment

To cbn's list I'd like to add (7) getting access to pods that sank to the ocean floor instead of floating.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by RedFred on 02-22-2001 12:16 PM
                To cbn's list I'd like to add (7) getting access to pods that sank to the ocean floor instead of floating.

That's another excellant point (you're 2 for 2).

I've noticed that sometimes pods will show up after an earthquake near water and hadn't really considered that. Thnx.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by lbores on 02-22-2001 12:32 PM
                  That's another excellent point (you're 2 for 2).

I've noticed that sometimes pods will show up after an earthquake near water and hadn't really considered that. Thnx.

Oops!! Sorry for the dble post. Hit reply instead of edit.

[This message has been edited by lbores (edited February 22, 2001).]

Comment

IIRC, pods raised from the bottom appear in tiles that had held special resources, and the resources are destroyed in the uplift process.

Comment

Working...
                    X