No announcement yet.

Capturing Native Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of Sealurks... is there ever any reason to build one? And can you capture them? I can't remember if I ever had. Usually the only time I see the suckers is when they appear out of the sea and go straight for a base, which means (thanks to trancing all my garrisons) free morale upgrade gifts from the sea.

Comment

Sealurks are submarine. That's why you almost never see them until they attack. And that's also the reason to build them in MP (but not SP). They can also attack, and I think capture, coastal bases, which I think IoDs cannot.
      Fitz. (n.) Old English
      1. Child born out of wedlock.
      2. Bastard.

Comment

You can capture wild sealurks, I did a test once and it worked. I've also seen two AI sea lurks which could only have been captured. (I've never managed to catch one in a normal game though, the way to do it would be to let the sealurk empty a base (it will sit outside the base forever basically) then attack it with a high movement ship, and this would have to be done early in the game. IOD's are much better to capture, but you can't deny Sea Lurks look damn cool.

The sealurk is cheaper than an IOD (by 1 row IIRC) so that's an advantage.

BTW anyone else ever noticed that if you bombard sporelaunchers (and possibly other worms) that can capture them.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Fitz on 02-15-2001 05:41 PM
          Sealurks are submarine. That's why you almost never see them until they attack. And that's also the reason to build them in MP (but not SP). They can also attack, and I think capture, coastal bases, which I think IoDs cannot.

Sealurks can be caught. They can attack coastal bases, but cannot take them.

Comment

As we have gone to sealurks I can take the time to alert you to a bug they have. They don't know that they are native life. My sealurks always move as conventional units in fungus. (Which kinda sucks, when the random gods decide that you should NEVER EVER meet an IoD, that in fact you should only see one aquatic native life form in 60 years of pod popping. Makes trolling the new sargasso for pods a hassle.)

Comment

OK, I think the message is:
              "Capture attempt failed! Our psi talents report that these mind worms seem to be under the control of a vastly more powerful hive mind!"
              That hive mind is Chiron, or Planet as some of us prefer to call it. Voice is sending these worms as a warning to you to cut back on ecodamage before it's too late. They also sometimes occur when Hercules approache perihelion.
              "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Lord Maxwell on 02-16-2001 10:41 AM
                My sealurks always move as conventional units in fungus.

I just captured my first sealurk and I thought I noticed that it moves through fungus at half speed (I could be mistaken). Maybe because it is submarine? What's the movement rate of conventional subs?

Comment

Working...
                X