No announcement yet.

The best landmark location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember I was playing around with the map generator and found it. Doesn't it give an extra mineral for each square in it? That plus the Garland Crater on your continent would be very powerful.
    "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
    "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
    "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

Comment

This thread let's me think of the questions how to use best the smaller landmarks, like the ruins or the Garland crater.
      Is it better to build a base in it's center to gain the whole benefits in one base (somehow, the "eye" of the ruins seems to pray "Build a base right here!" to me"),
      or is it better to share the goodies of the landmark to two or three marginal bases?

Comment

Forest the interior, mine the mineral bonuses, solar and drill to aquifier the energy bonus, farm/se the nutrient bonus. Almost all of the time the river created by drilling flows into the crater, giving you 6 river squares, 1 of which is in your base in the center. Crawler in some nuts for growth until tree farms, and you have a mean lean SP building machine with decent energy output.

Comment

I forgot my favorite landmark: Mt. Planet! You get +1 energy AND +1 mineral plus high elevation! The summit is like free forest (1-2-1).

Rocky squares get a mine for 0-6-1. All others get solar for 1-2-5. It's the ideal location for an energy park --ring the mountain with echelon mirrors in the foothills.
          Creator of the Ultimate Builder Map, based on the Huge Map of Planet, available at The Chironian Guild:
          http://guild.ask-klan.net.pl/eng/index.html

Comment

Is there anyway to create your own landmark? Along with some bonus. I guess somewhere in the alphatext there is a way. A new graphic would be nice but I guess I could just use a variation of the other ones. This might be better in creation.
            Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sprayber on 02-06-2001 11:38 AM
              Is there anyway to create your own landmark? Along with some bonus. I guess somewhere in the alphatext there is a way. A new graphic would be nice but I guess I could just use a variation of the other ones. This might be better in creation.

I don't think so. The landmarks are coded into the game itself, not in the .txt files.

Comment

When you speak of the 'ruins', I am assuming that you are talking about the one with the 'ripple inscriptions'? Do you build so as to include the parts and how do you terraform the location if at all?

In the 'uranium field' - do you mine each spot? If some extend into the ocean - mine likewise?

I've never found the 'unity crash site'.

Comment

Ibores, the ruins are the landmark with 8 monoliths.

Comment

The ruins can be really useful for the pirates on a random map, if they are there own island. Build 3 or 4 sea bases on the coast, each of these bases then have a couple of monoliths, clean away some fungus and plant forest. Later build a base in the middle(to stop some cheeky AI building there) and build 8 boreholes (at the maximum density possible), making the ruin island a real industrial powerhouse for much of the game.

I always build several bases on or around the smaller landmarks, you can reap the full benefit of the landmark a lot quicker that way, and remember that get too much minerals in one base and you have ecodamage problems.

Comment

Yes, the ruins ROCK! I'm playing a game as the borgs now,and my middle island has the Ruins. Nice...

If playing Morgan,the best is the Mount Planet.

Garland's Crater is good too...
                      It hurts to be on the cutting edge!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by lbores on 02-11-2001 01:21 PM
                        In the 'uranium field' - do you mine each spot? If some extend into the ocean - mine likewise?

The benefit of the Uranium Flats is that they give +1 energy per square. Since they are usually arid and low-lying, I generally forest them. I have seen the Flats apparently extending into the ocean, but they don't generate +1 energy there.

Warning: if you attempt to raise the flats - or if you get an earthquake from a pod that raises the land - they are destroyed!

Not sure why you would mine the Flats, particularly?
                        Team 'Poly

Comment

Working...
                        X