No announcement yet.

armored probe teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I must have missed something here. I'm playing around with a new game as the data angels. Since they have probes from the start, decided to build some armoured probes as garrisons.

I built infantry probes with synthmetal armour (best I have right now, I'm only a few turns in). Cost was 30, which is fine.

Two problems:
    1 Ctrl D does not designate an APT as defender. It works on scouts etc, but does not work for APTs.
    2 There is no designate defender option in the action menu for an APT. It does appear as an option for a scout unit.

Just as an aside, my APT does not count as a police unit, which is slightly disappointing :-)

So how come I can't designate my probes as defenders?? Where am I going wrong?

- Mis
    Team 'Poly

Comment

Misotu,

In my experience you can't. Their usefullness is pretty limited. If you have a very low police rating, they can be used in lieu of regular infantry garrisons, and provide the additional benefit of defending against enemy probes. (Since you get no police benefit anyway, you don't lose anything, and you don't pay upkeep). You don't want to stack them (due to the non-combatant destruct) with other units, but they can be very useful for occupying border areas and slowing an enemy's attack. They are mainly useful to a player who has a low police and or support rating, as they cost nothing to maintain, and don't make anyone unhappy if they are deployed outside of your area.
      He's got the Midas touch.
      But he touched it too much!
      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Mis

Oops sorry I gave you a bad stear on the designate defender approach. Been playing too much Morgan lately in FM and didn't need a garrison for police as a result and used some psych to quell drones. I typically was only using an armored probe in the base as a defender and had roving empath speeders for wild life issues. (not something you would want to try in a multiplayer game)

What a bite that AP can't designate as a defender.

Apologies again.

------------------
        "Just puttin on the foil coach" - Hansson Bros.

[This message has been edited by Ogie Oglethorpe (edited February 21, 2000).]
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Oh OK, no problem. I just thought I'd missed something. I'm only messing around, so no harm done. Glad I found out before trying it out in the PBEM game :-))

cheers
          - Mis
          Team 'Poly

Comment

Ok, just pretend that armored probe teams are futuristic cyber-ninjas that must fight alone and in the shadows to be effective.

Comment

Anunikoba that's quite funny that you mention cyber_ninjas because that is exactly what I rename my armoured probed team to!

Comment

Working...
              X