New iMac DV in the MacUser household!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New iMac DV in the MacUser household!

As posted on the MacAddict Maximum iMac Forum I am thrilled to announce a new member to my house: an iMac DV!! Sears is parting ways with Apple and they are clearing out their stock including the display models! (Note, I use the screen name of MacCiver on the MacAddict Forums.)

I DID IT! I bought an iMac DV 400MHz/64MB/10GB CD-DVD-ROM for $539 from Sears! It appears to be an old DV + or Special Ed. from the fruit flavor series as it is "Blueberry." It was one of the display models (no boxed iMacs left) and I told them that I would pay $500 for either the newer Indigo or the Blueberry. Prior to my offer I looked a System profiler for both systems and they were identical except for the DVD-ROM on the Blue and a 12 GB HD and extended keyboard on the Indigo. So I feel pretty good about it! I note that in the recent MacWarehouse and Club Mac ads a similar Indigo system is selling for $999 or $895, respectively!

Now all I need is a 128 MB SDRAM DIMM and OS X!

Finally, I want to publicly thank my wife who puts up with my Mac obsession and allowed me to buy another Mac even though she wants a new car (and other stuff too)! Note: I loaded her software first!

------------------
    Civilization II Multiplayer Gold Ed. - the only game I play! Apolyton Civilization Site

In the end I added a 256 MB PC-133 SDRAM DIMM (total 320 MB) after giving the 128 MB DIMM a test drive. Actually, I had my SEVEN YEAR OLD install the 128 and then my ELEVEN YEAR OLD removed the 128 and installed the 256!! This is an insanely easy machine in which to add RAM!! Gotta' love it!

Note: one down side is the lack of a warranty. Apple started the clock ticking when Sears registered it in NOV 1999! (took a year to sell it? no wonder Apple is splitting!) After the one year warranty expires you can't even buy the Apple Extended Warranty. So, buyer beware!

I have installed OS X and am loving it! Classic apps run smoothly, NO crashes, Civ2 MGE ver 1.1.1 plays with no problems and while I haven't played against a human, I did setup a MP game and played several turns with no issues. I'll post an OS X thread and provide some more details, but overall, I'm a happy camper, or is that Mac-er?

As Insane pointed out, there is really no pressing reason to buy OS X, but it sure is fun being on that cutting edge!

edit url and typos
    ------------------
    Be what you is and not what you is not. Folks who do that are the happiest lot!
    - Mr. Wizard the Lizard,
    [This message has been edited by MacUser (edited March 29, 2001).]
    "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!
Working...
X