No announcement yet.

does anyone remember FW Mars scenario?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anyone remember FW Mars scenario?

mars

The very name evokes emotions older than we, primal fears and superstitions which have dominated human affairs since before history began to be recorded. Its red sphere glowed with the promise of war, the color of blood. Its unsteady path through the heavens brought unease even to the greatest of men. For Mars, the bringer of war, was thought to be unconquerable.

Humankind has begun to conquer the myths of Mars. Through scientific investigation and rational thought, we have deduced that these so-called wanderers in our night sky are in fact "planets". Through advances in optical technology, we have seen that our solar neighbor lacks canals, cities, and in fact, any evidence whatsoever of the little green men (and women) that sojourned through the fancy of our earlier years. Through the numerous flybys and probes we have increased our knowledge of the Red Planet millionfold.

Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars, along with its blue and green sequels, is one such attempt to conquer the lore and superstition. It is a masterful portrayal of what could easily become reality. Using knowledge of today's science and technology, Robinson extrapolates an altogether reasonable future for humankind. A future that includes conflict, yes. But a future that ends on a better note. One that shows how we can become better than we are, how we can (and indeed, always have) progress towards a better way of life. A way of life more equitable for all.

Kim Stanley Robinson, out of all the men and women who have tried before, I venture to say that you have been the one who has truly succeeded in conquering Mars. For you have turned a harbinger of war and death into a promise of hope and a better way of life.

It is in the spirit of this dream, that I propose we take up a project for our community. A sort of Great Wonder, if you will. In essence, I am hoping and asking that we be able to pull together as many resources as possible in order to accomplish the creation of the Mars scenario. Not just as another game to play, but as something more. Our own way of expressing our imaginations of the Red Planet. Our own piece of art.

Peace Be With You All
Working...
X