New Pitboss Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pitboss Game

Would like very much to get a pitboss game started, all the ones on Gamespy are locked.

If you are interested please reply here. I am thinking...

Vers: Warlords 2.08
    Players: 6
    Map: Terra
    Size: Standard
    Sea: Med
    Era: Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Resorces: Standard
    No Barbs
    No Tech Trading
    Victory: No Space, No Time

Only serious reply please. Leave your email so you can be contacted. I will also entertain any suggestions as far as game perameters (no promases though).

Hmm... I don't think 'no tech trading' is really a good idea for a PTBS game, that's more of an MP setting. PTBS is intended to be more diplomacy than MP, so taking out the major element of diplomacy is not a good idea.

If it were with tech trading, then I would be willing to join (24 hour turns?)
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

And second what snoopy said about tech trading. I also vote for 24 hour turn timer. The rest looks good.
      Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

I agree with the other posts on tech trading. Count me in. 24 hour turn timer is good too.
        Let me explain something to you..... I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing. - The Big Lebowski(1998)

Comment

I too am interested...I do have one silly question though:

What is the difference between a "Pitboss" PBEM game and the regular PBEM game?

As you can tell, I've never tried a Pitboss game yet. I would be more than willing to join this motley crew - but can someone simply state the purpose of playing a Pitboss game to me? Thanks.

Oh, and my email addy is: wittlich (at) sbcglobal (dot) net

Comment

My email address is Nukeboy1960 at aol dot com
            Let me explain something to you..... I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing. - The Big Lebowski(1998)

Comment

Originally posted by Wittlich
              I too am interested...I do have one silly question though:

What is the difference between a "Pitboss" PBEM game and the regular PBEM game?

As you can tell, I've never tried a Pitboss game yet. I would be more than willing to join this motley crew - but can someone simply state the purpose of playing a Pitboss game to me? Thanks.
              Don't need the email addy's. Someone hosts the game and you connect through the 'login' forum, which is powered by gamespy. Snoopy has quick and dirt instructions on this.

Now pbem vs pitboss: this is what I posted in the Civ4 Warlords Demo game forum to help folks out. It is edited for single player versus team play.

In a pbem game, the save is played by one player and sent to the next. With a 24 hour turn rule, and say seven players, it could take a max of 7 days to play one turn before the save came back around to you. If players are playing quickly, lets say it will take 3-5 days. Occasionally a player has problems playing because of absences, and then a player may use up 2 or 3 days on her/his own, despite the turn rule.

In a pitboss game, there is a turn timer, set at 24 or 36 or 48, or whatever hours. There are 2 to XX number of players. Each player has that set amout of time to log on and play the turn. If he/she doesn't play by the say, 48 hour time limit, then the AI automatically plays the turn based on build queues etc. If all players play before the time limit, then the turn advances, and another 48 hours deadline is set. In this way, turns may actually take less than the set turn limit. The timer is very evident in a pitboss game - you see it clicking away in the upper right.

In this manner, a pitboss game can have many players, and still stay on schedule. Whereas adding teams to a pbem game can really slow things down.

Sure, in a 3 player pitboss game, with all players on-line, you could realy motor, so in that regard, a 12 player piboss game may be slower than a 3 player one, but, even in the 12 player/team game, the 24 or 48 hour turn deadline sticks.
              I'm in two pitboss games now, and far and away the games move faster. One has 11 players and a 24 hour timer, the other has 9 with a 36 hour timer. IMHO, 24 is plenty. You can still plan your absences with build and research queues, although you might not want to miss turns during a war.
              Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

True, true, Beta about not needing email addy to actually play the game. My request was more so that eveyone can be contacted when there are enough interested partys (assuming ppl don't check this thread every day).

Orginally I proposed no tech trading to eliminate the possiblity of two people who know each other pre-game plotting out seperate tech trees to research then constantly just trading them back and forth. I do realize this could and often does happen once in-game alliances are formed, and I have no problem with that as long as two people don't start 4000 BC with a game plan.

Long story short, I'll allow tech tradeing

Also... game timer will be set to 24 hrs.

Also, only 1 of each nation allowed, so if you guys want to post dibs on an empire go for it. I'll pick from what is left.

Looks like we have 5 here so far.... thinking of maybe bumping up the total player number to 7 or 8. At any rate, when we get a few more peeps I'll set a start date and password.

Comment

I would like Americans with Roosevelt as leader

Comment

Ok. Thanks for the clarification Beta and Pinchak. I will go ahead and join this endeavor then.

Put me down for Saladin of Arabia please.
                    "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                    "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

I'd like to play ... hmm.

Catherine of Aragon Russia

Also one clarification, we're playing simultaneous turns, right, not synchronous?

Comment

Originally posted by pinchak
                        Orginally I proposed no tech trading to eliminate the possiblity of two people who know each other pre-game plotting out seperate tech trees to research then constantly just trading them back and forth. I do realize this could and often does happen once in-game alliances are formed, and I have no problem with that as long as two people don't start 4000 BC with a game plan.
                        This is standard PBEM/etc. etiquette. Many of us have played many games together ... but every game you start is a new game, and should *always* be played as a clean slate (although it is natural to be more wary of those who have broken deals in the past ).

Comment

to what snoopy said. No 'hidden' or 'pre-planned' alliances. Besides, what's the fun in that. Guess we need one or two more and we can get going.

Now, a civ .... is Rome OK, or is it excluded? Some games are excluding it as the strength of the Praetorians in the early game can be unbalancing. I am Ok to choose another. Maybe the Greeks.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                            I'd like to play with ......

Catherine of Russia.
                            So did most of her cavalry officers.

Also one clarification, we're playing simultaneous turns, right, not synchronous?
                            That's what I assumed as well.

Comment

I don't know how this works, but if you have room for one more, I’m in!
                              RIAA sucks
                              The Optimistas
                              I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Working...
                              X