PiTBoSs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PiTBoSs

Firaxis is producing a new CIV program- a Persistant Turn-Based Server- to allow for play faster than regualr PBEM, but permitting higher quality, full length gameplay than you'd find in a quick online MP session. The Pitboss beta was made public last week- we're (the testing community- basically anyone interested in it) trying to determine right now if it is ready for long-term stable games yet.

The features aren't too well advertised, but basically it should make PBEM type games go a heckuva lot faster. If you can get all the players online at the same time, you can play dozens of turns in an hour. Any other time you just need to log into the server and play, no fuss with an email save. And there is an automatic timer that can be set to any # of hours, with the Pitboss 'nexting' the turn for the slackers who can't be bothered once a day to check in...

I expect games to move from the old < 25% finish rate to over 75%, and be measured in length by months instead of years.

All that's needed is everyone on 1.52 and a Windows machine that is on the net 24/7. The program is able to run on lesser machines than a full game needs because the server does not deal with graphics. PTBS allows you to play group sessions or whenever-you-log-in, either way as much as you want, whenever you want. It can also be saved to restart the session at a later date and/or on a different machine.

It will also fulfill the function of a turn-tracking thread- it can send out automatic notification when your turn becomes available (and perhaps a warning if your turn timer is about to expire?). However this looks completely broken in the current beta, so I don't know the specifics.

Play sessions are just one of the features- the turn timer and ability to play without loading a save are enough that the only reason I can see people playing true PBEM anymore would be if someone has to play on a machine that doesn't have a direct internet connection.

Another feature is the ability to play persitant games in simultaneous turn mode. If the haphazard approach to combat mechanics doesn't bother you, any player is allowed to log in at any point during the turn and make moves in any order. With normal (SP style ;-) sequential turns, you can still log in at any time, examine the map and your cities, issue build and move orders, and plan a research path, but units only move and production only happens once the player before you has ended their turn.

One other thing- its not clear yet if an elapsed timer would just skip the player's turn or have the AI play it. Hopefully the final version will allow you to choose...

The beta of Pitboss is available at CFC here. Having the executable is only necessary for the player setting up the game. Everyone else just joins like a normal MP game.
    Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Because I can keep my computer running 24/7 (and used to until I didn't know what else to download ) and because I would like to see PiTBoSs take off like a rocket, I want to ask a few questions:

I'd like to know what kind of load the server puts on a machine (can I do other stuff or play MP CIV4 while its running?)

If there's a power failure, how does it handle it?
    "You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war" - Albert Einstein
    Eternal Ruler of the Incan Empire in the History of The World 5 Diplomacy Game. The Diplogame HotW 6 is being set up.
    Citizen of the Civ4 Single Player Democracy Game JOIN US!
    Wanna play some PBEMs!?

Comment

The load is supposed to be pretty heavy, but only right after a turn is finished. For most games that would probably be once or twice a day. Somebody was able to run it on an older Pentium (300mH I think) but said it maxed out the processor for a while calculating new turns. I'm pretty sure it would be noticible on a middle range (1.8+) machine. No idea about 3.0+ or dual processor rigs, or what affect memory has. Anyway, most of the time, the most noticible thing about it is having two extra windows on your toolbar, something sure to be fixed in a future version. There is nothing about the mechanics of it that would prohibit you from doing anything else, except perhaps hosting another CIV PTBS.

It has an autosave feature. There have been conflicting reports on how it is working so far, but eventually at least you will be able to restart it from the last completed turn.

Hopefully by the time this is ready for Primetime, we'll have a list going of potential game hosts...

Comment

Rommel2D, question, do you need to have civ4 installed on the same computer to run pitboss? If not, I have a computer that doesn't do a whole lot, but runs 'round the clock, so could potentially be good for pitboss server.
        XBox Live: VovanSim
        xbox.com (login required)
        Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
        Spore page

Comment

ok, thanks.
          "You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war" - Albert Einstein
          Eternal Ruler of the Incan Empire in the History of The World 5 Diplomacy Game. The Diplogame HotW 6 is being set up.
          Citizen of the Civ4 Single Player Democracy Game JOIN US!
          Wanna play some PBEMs!?

Comment

Originally posted by vovan
            Rommel2D, question, do you need to have civ4 installed on the same computer to run pitboss? If not, I have a computer that doesn't do a whole lot, but runs 'round the clock, so could potentially be good for pitboss server.
            The Pitboss executable needs some of the files from the regular game to run. The easiest way to do this is to palce it in the same folder as the excutable. Some people at CFC are working on figuring out which files it needs so a streamlined install can be done. I haven't heard what Firaxis plans for the full release...

Comment

i have heard that you can safely remove graphics and audio files...
              - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
              - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Originally posted by NicodaMax
                I'd like to know what kind of load the server puts on a machine (can I do other stuff or play MP CIV4 while its running?)
                The one problem I've been told about by CanuckSoldier is that Pitboss and online MP use the same port, so there would likely be some conflict there, at least with the beta...

Comment

I have made a PB and then used my civ4 to log into my PB and there was no problem.
                  You have two choices in life; Explore and learn or Vegetate.
                  There is a reason for everything.

Comment

That is still one game, so it would only be using one port. The hypothetical problem would be something along the lines of having a PTBS game running in the background while trying to play a regular GameSpy MP game using the same machine, or having 2 PTBS games running at once...

Comment

The persistent turn-based server program for Civilization IV, also known as PitBoss, is now available for download. Here is a description of PitBoss from the Info Center: The Pit Boss persistent turn-based server will allow for players to play as long as they like and leave when they like...

Also has lots on PB and some of the problems.
                      You have two choices in life; Explore and learn or Vegetate.
                      There is a reason for everything.

Comment

Weird- I didn't know that thread was still running. I only seem to get reply notifications from CFC every 100 posts or so...

Comment

Working...
                        X