Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Example of a well structured DAR for us noobies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Example of a well structured DAR for us noobies?

Before we get going with the first course, could someone please post a link or attach an example of what a well structured DAR should look like?

Any from the Civ 3 AU forum should give you a good idea of what people write. I picked one at random:

"Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Oh, and I love this screenie in that thread from alexman with the worker/settler factories ID'd. I hated the rapid expansion settler/worker micromanagement in Civ 3. Good riddance!!

"Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
      "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
      "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Cort Haus' AAR (slightly different than a DAR) for AU101 was one of the first really good writeups, I think:

grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Thx guys. I figure it'll take a few submissions before I'll have learned what works best for everyone.

Comment

Wow, holy nostalgia (looking back at the old minitourneys). I'd completely forgotten that MT1 was my idea! @ myself.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Catt's AAR from AU102 (Give Peace a Chance!) was also very, very good:

Comment

Also, I forget who, but during the Conquests timeframe, we had one or two creative-writing types whose DARs were always an enjoyable read.

There's no single "right" way to do it. Some folks get creative and build a fiction around the events, others(like me) are more of a "this is what happened, this is what I did, this is why" type. You can basically do it in whatever style feels right. Mine ended up rather dry because I'd tried one of the CFC Quick Start contests, and I ended up keeping more a log of what I did than anything else.

For me, part of the point of doing DARs and keeping turn logs and sharing is to learn. When you keep a log, it a)makes you think about what you're doing and why and b)lets you look back at what you were thinking last week when you planted that city in the middle of the desert, stuck at pop 1 for thousands of years(or whatever).

Anyway, there's plenty of good examples in the C3 DARs, but don't overstress about structure or style or content. Focus more on learning and sharing.
                "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

Yup: what you did, and why (what were you thinking). The rest is basically window dressing, but it can be a LOT of fun! Screenshots are a key addition that really helps others get a feel for your game. I'm pretty bad about that (haven't taken a single one in CivIV yet!), but I know they're important for AU DARs. A picture may not be worth a 1000 words, but it's worth quite a few!

-Arrian

Comment

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Arrian
                    Catt's AAR from AU102 (Give Peace a Chance!) was also very, very good: QUOTE]

Everything Catt wrote was very, very good
                    He is a very gifted writer and was able to balance story, strategy, and screenshots to write a highly entertaining AAR/DAR.

BTW, I always thought yours were pretty good too.

Comment

One more question

Is there an easier way to put a link into your reports than copy and paste from the adress bar? It seems to cumbersome for me to link all my DAR's together this way.

Thanks
                      Persistance knows no defeat!
                      (unknown)
                      Gott gibt uns die Nüsse, aber er beißt sie uns nicht auf.
                      (J. W. von Goethe)

Comment

Re: One more question

Originally posted by kptb
                        Is there an easier way to put a link into your reports than copy and paste from the adress bar? It seems to cumbersome for me to link all my DAR's together this way.

Thanks
                        Next to the 'reply with quote' button above each post, you will find a little blue number (this should be #12). Right click on that number, and use 'Copy Link Location'. Then, you can past it in every report.

You will still need to have to add the url tags if you want to make something like this link to your post

DeepO

Comment

Many Thanks

Originally posted by DeepO

Next to the 'reply with quote' button above each post, you will find a little blue number (this should be #12). Right click on that number, and use 'Copy Link Location'. Then, you can past it in every report.

You will still need to have to add the url tags if you want to make something like this link to your post

DeepO
                          Thank you very kindly DeepO.
                          Persistance knows no defeat!
                          (unknown)
                          Gott gibt uns die Nüsse, aber er beißt sie uns nicht auf.
                          (J. W. von Goethe)

Comment

thanks from me as well

love learning from everyone
                            anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Working...
                            X