My First Civ 4 Victory (Space Race)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Civ 4 Victory (Space Race)

Well I finally won my first Civ 4 game. I played as George Washington on a Continents map (accidentally on Noble difficulty, forgot to change it)...

I had an enormous tech lead throughout the whole game. By the time other civilizations started the Apollo Program, I was about 75% done with my ship.

I think I probably won for a few reasons. One, I only had two neighbors. After I got six cities plopped down I concentrated solely on tech stuff (libraries, observatories, academies, universities, etc.). Near the end I had a half-decent defense of Navy Seals and what-not, but no one ever attacked me, and that's probably the second reason I won. I shared the same religion with both neighbors...

Maybe you can look at this save and tell me, was it luck? Probably was...

I started a new game today as Elizabeth on a Terra map but did disgustingly bad, probably worse than I ever have. I could only manage four cities, and can you guess who my neighbor was? I was in a cul-de-sac kind of area, cordoned off by Montezuma. Which is why I could only manage four cities, that's all the room I had. I figured I'd try what everyone seems to suggest... build a few cities then take the rest from your enemies... and so I built up an army, unit after unit, swordsmen, axemen, catapults... I had two stacks, each consisting of 3 swordsmen, 4 axemen and 2 catapults and just in time, the bastard declares war on me (just for the hell of it)... I guess I did okay with what I had, seeing as how his city was just across from my last, but even after bombarding his city down to 0% defense bonus, I still couldn't take it. His city had at least 15 units in it (seems more like 20 to me), not counting the swordsmen (his special thingies, whatever they are... jaguars?) spread all over the place. They gradually wore down all my units, destroyed them all, and I couldn't churn out enough to stop him from taking my city...

So it looks like warfare is what I suck at the most, second only to my superior deficiency in diplomacy... there's simply no way to churn out enough units to take a city, as far as I can see, unless you wait a long, long time for your cities to grow and get things like the forge or whatever. I honestly don't see how he did what he did. Seemed like bull**** to me. Whatever...
    Attached Files
Working...
X