Spherical Map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spherical Map

I am strongly in favour of a civilization game with a spherical map. The reasons why a spherical map would be an improvement include:

1. A spherical map would be more realistic. The polar areas could be fully implemented, withn the possibility of nuclear exchanges over the poles, for example.

2. A spherical map would reinvigorate the game, presenting a new challenge to long-time civ players, who've grown accustomed to playing on a flat map. No other grand-strategy game has used a spherical map to my knowledge, and if civ doesn't get it, some other game will.

3. A spherical map would be aesthetically pleasing, particularly if it was combined with a renewed investment in the terrain graphics.

Possible problems:

An incomplete mini-map. I think that it's important that the mini-map should reflect the whole world, so I'd suggest that it could use a variety of flat projections, depending on the player's preference. Maybe it could even by tied to your tech level.

As far as I'm aware, it's impossible to tile squares onto a sphere. An analogue system could be used, or perhaps a province system.

it doesn't seem like there would be that much change to implement a basic north-south wraparound, as we already have an east-west wraparound of course a spherical map would be a lot more difficult as the current depiction is basically flat with squares as you mentioned. of course if the tiles had a soccer ball-like pattern, maybe it wouldn't be quite so tough to do wraparound?
    Insert witty phrase here

Comment

This subject was discussed very much in practicaly every civ project out there. Some, like Manifest Destiny, even implement a spherical map.

Comment

The problem with a North/South wraparound is that it's not very realistic. After all, the North pole doesn't connect with the South, does it?

A geodesic-type tiling would be pretty good, since hexes are a well established strategy game feature.

You have to throw in the occasional pentagon to make the design work, but I don't see that as much of a problem.

I downloaded the Manifest Destiny demo and tried it out. The map is pretty good, but I would really like to see a mini-map which was a typical flat projection, since spherical maps do tend to hide information around their curvature.
        Last edited by Sandman; May 26, 2003, 13:03.

Comment

Populous: The Beginning was played on a spherical world, and I think it worked out nicely, but that was a RTS game and didn't need to have a tiled approach.

You wouldn't have to keep the area spherical, you could take the spherical and flatten it out and let people know where the wraparounds happen. It might take some getting used to, but it could work.
          badams

Comment

The internal data representation isn't all that tricky, all you need is to use polar corrdinates. But showing it on screen could be an entirely different story.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Urban Ranger: Is there any problem to put it as Sandman proposed it two posts before you?...
              Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

It would work fine, but only for specific size maps. The problem is that for the majority of map sizes the hexagons will not be 'regular', and so different shapes of hexagons will appear depending on which part of the map you are looking at.

If you have a good graphics template you can problem hide/resolve that issue as it is not a topological problem, just an aesthetic one.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Which size would that be? Those with a number of tiles = exponents of 8 or something? If so, do we really need map sizes that are THAT customizable? Doesn't seem to bad a handicap... No?

Comment

Do we really need tiles?
                    Tiles are somewhat of a problem on spherical maps, maybe you could have a civgame without tiles?
                    Units and cities can both have polar coordinates.
                    The only thing that would have to be solved without tiles is how the terrain is handled. Pathfinding would also be different, but if there there is a good way to model the terrain, then pathfinding shouldn't be too hard.
                    <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
                    Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch
                      It would work fine, but only for specific size maps. The problem is that for the majority of map sizes the hexagons will not be 'regular', and so different shapes of hexagons will appear depending on which part of the map you are looking at.
                      Actually, there's only one map size where the hexes would be regular: the one that looks like a soccer ball. All maps larger than that would have different sized hexes. I think.

But then again, if you're going to have a map where the tiles are irregular anyway, why restrict yourself to geodesic spheres? The whole map could be a free-form polygon mesh.

Comment

We can also look at the possibility of hexagons with four-sided figures.

Comment

unrealistic to connect the two poles...but it might make for some gaming fun ...again i would wonder what it looked like
                          Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

In a spherical map, there is no need to connect the two poles in order to go northern than the North pole, or southerne than the south pole.

I'm all for it. A spherical map would be refreshing, look good, and let us feel more involved in the game
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by War4ever
                              unrealistic to connect the two poles...but it might make for some gaming fun ...again i would wonder what it looked like
                              A toroid: like a big (american-style) donut.

CtP2 has that option. You don't even try and picture it usually, just take y-wrap for granted and keep playing.
                              Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Working...
                              X