I have just (30-12-2004) released a major update to concept-build of a Sprite Editor.
Please take a look at the program and let me know what you think, and what functions will be the most importatn. And please report any problems using sprites generated by SpriteEdit.
This post will be updated with every major update of the program to let newcommers get an overview of the program without reading through the whole thread.
- Display SpriteFiles
All view options have now been implemented. SpriteEdit can now open and display the frames and animation information for all version 1.3 and 2.0 sprites.
- Save Sprite Images
Sprite Edit can now save the following: Combined Image: This saves all the graphical data of a given frame to a 32 bit tga image. The pixel data is saved as RGB-color values, the transparency mask is saved to the alpha channel. And the shadow is saved as the shadow color selected on the shadow menu. Masked Image: Same as Combined Image except the shadow is not saved. Pixels: This will save the pixel data to a 32 bit RGB tga image, with no shadow or Mask. Mask: Saves the Mask to both the alpha channel and as gray values to a 32 bit RGB tga image. Shadow: Save the shadow as a 2 color image, it is actually saved as a 32 bit RGB tga image.
- Play Animations
The animation sequences can be played, for now only as looped animations. The Sprite Files can contain both sequential, back-n-forth, and looped.
- Edit most elements of the SpriteFile
- Save Sprites in version 1.3
A note on background images: If anyone feels like creating more images, just make all images the same size (any size will do) and save them to one wide .bmp-file, but put a blank frame to the left. On the options menu you can tell SpriteEdit what size each frame has and then load the image. If the image is less than the size of the sprite it is tiled, to fill the whole background.
Changes from Build 9 to 10[LIST=1][*]Edit Sprite Frame now edits the selected heading not just North.[/LIST=1]
Changes from Build 9 to 10[LIST=1][*]Implemented Add, Remove, Insert, and Edit Sprite Frame.
This is verry much beta, so please report any odd behaviour.
Note that it is not possible create sprites from scratch.[/LIST=1]
Changes from Build 8 to 9[LIST=1][*]Fixed export images directories, so the images are now exported to the correct directories.[*]Only relevant color options are now available on the export dialog.[*]Changed a checkbox caption from cbDiversColors to "Use Divers Colors"[/LIST=1]
Changes from Build 6 to 7
- Added edit capability for all non-graphical elements of the SpriteFile.
- Added save SpriteFile. For compatability reasoons the sprites are saved in version 1.3, so they are compatible with both Civ:CTP and CTP2.
- Made a lot of minor changes to the ini-file structure, so now default values for options are not saved in the ini-file.
- Images can now be saved as Windows-Bitmaps as well as tga.
- The save dialog now adds the selected extention if the file name does not include an extention.
- Fixed a lot of minor things in loading and manipulating SpriteFiles.
- Added register .spr-extention with SpriteEdit option. If you do double-clicking a .spr-file will open it in SpriteEdit.
Changes from Build 5 to 6
(minor version changed from 1 to 2)
- Implemented all the save image options, (I hope) so now you can save as Combined Image, Masked Image, Pixels, Mask, and Shadow.
- Added Export images options. You can now save all frames in the sprite file in three different modes:
- One file : All elements of the frame is saved to the same image.
- Two Files : Each frame is saved as Masked Image and Shadow.
- Three Files: Each frame is saved as Pixel, Mask, and Shadow Images.
- Fixed the shadow color bug.
- Added displaying of a number of properties: (Not fully implemented)
- Centerpoints, for each headding
- Deltas or nudges for each Animation frame
- Transparency (fade) values for each Animation Frame
- SpriteNumFrames, number of frames pressent in the animation block
- SpriteFirestFrame, first frame in animation block only used in the scripts from Activision, has no impact on the spritefile.
- AnimType, sequential, loop, or back-n-forth.
- AnimNumFrames, number of animation frames.
- AnimPlayBackTime, length of animation in milliseconds, not implemented acording to Activision.
- AnimDelay, number of times to play last frame in animation befor restarting animation.
- Relative Paths now work in the interface (note: This is only visual).
Changes from Build 4 to 5
[LIST=1][*]Added Background image option (Thanks Immortal Wombat for the image) It is now possible to display an image as the background. You can make your own background image-stripe, first image in stripe should be blank. Color of upper left pixel is transparent color and any pixel in the image with this color will be replaced by the current background color.[*]Added save as 32 bit tga with alpha. Both with and without the shadow.[*]Added save alpha Mask to 32 bit tga.[/LIST=1]
Changes from Build 3 to 4
Seems like I managed to break as much as I fixed between build 2 and 3, so let's hope I've managed to fix them all.
[LIST=1][*]The animations now plays again[*]Fixed the crashes on load, now you should get an intelligible error message.[*]Added inverse-shadows, so the shadow color is the inverse of the background.[*]Added display of separate and combined Pixel, Mask, and Shadow.
Sprites can now be loaded from the list by key-board both in single and double-click mode. ([space-bar] and [enter])[*]Saved BG and SH colors (ini-file) are now reflected on menus.[/LIST=1]
Changes from Build 2 to 3
[LIST=1][*]Fixed the large-sprites does not load bug.[*]Fixed shadow colors bug in play.[*]Added a couple of protections that hopefully fixed bug where one crash causes subsequent load attempt to fail.[/LIST=1]
Changes from Build 1 to 2
[LIST=1][*]Removed flicker[*]Partially fixed load bug for sprite 'GG023.spr' This turned out to be a version 2.1 good sprite. I's a slightly different format than the 1.3 good sprite. Still need to do the anim-sequence load.[*]Found and fixed a memory-leak.[*]Added Options, menu, and a number of different Directory options.[*]Added quick-loading of sprites in the sprite-list. So now the selected sprite will be loaded without double-clicking. (Option)[*]fixed a number of minor bugs, i.e.. the headings bug.[/LIST=1]
Any feed-back will be helpfull.
Martin the Dane
Get the latest version from my CTP page