Recommended world map?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended world map?

Can anyone give their own opinion as to the "best" world map out there? Mostly I don't care that much about proportion--in fact, there are several areas where I'd definitely prefer disproportion--but I'd prefer a map that was geographically accurate as possible within its own bent scale.

Included Earth Map

Personally, I like the map that is included with the game: the huge map that was created by Zach Wilson (at least I think that is the name). I modified it heavily, however, adding in a few landmasses (I seem to recall Hawaii was missing), adding starting locations, adding / naming barbarians, and relocating every resource to make it more realistic. For example, resources are quite rare unless in the Middle-East (oil), South America (rubber), India (spices), China (silk), Sub-Sahara (diamonds), West Africa (gold), and pretty much anywhere other than the Americas for horses. Basically, my goal is creating dependence for most nations on other nations, where one nation will have something that another doesn't; and vice-versa. I still edit the map often, though, changing a little here and there each time I play it, so it isn't done receiving changes yet.

---Actually, with the 1.29 patch I have had a problem with the starting locations. I place them into the map, but when I run the scenario the game completely ignores starting locations. Does anyone have any advice?
    Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité.
    Ich stütze Palestina.
    El hedudd.
    iViva la Milano!

Comment

TETurkhan and Marla world maps (KittenOFchaos version of Marla's) are best. Marla's is your classic world map, TETurkhans has some interesting and original features. Look at them both.
      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

It all depends on what size you are looking for.
        Creator of the Double Your Pleasure Mod Check out the DyP website and join the discussion on Double Your Pleasure Mod thread at civfanatics. You can play the mod on my DYP Earth Map
        or play regular Civ3 on one of my earth maps: 256x205; 180x180 Map; or 140x140.
        For you modders out there I have released a version of the map with no resources. You can get that version Clean 180x180 here or Clean 140x140 here.

Comment

Originally posted by Kal-el
          It all depends on what size you are looking for.
          True.

Huge maps can be slow.

And 256x256 maps can be unplayable.

It all depends from your PC.

And is it boring for you to move 200 units on the screen.

Comment

Has someone take a look at my own worldmap (Arnes Welt)? It is a 180 x 180 map and was made once for Civ3 v.1.16f(english) based on the original Firaxis World Map. A CPF-file is packed within the zip file. They was rated at CfC with 5 Stars.

I have to change this now for PtW, I think.
            Arne · Das Civilization Forum

Comment

Here is a preview of my new Large 140x140 Earth Map.

and here is a preview of my 180x180 map.

I haven't placed resources on either one yet, though Rhye has a version of my 180x180 map with resources in place.
              Last edited by Kal-el; December 16, 2002, 14:50.
              Creator of the Double Your Pleasure Mod Check out the DyP website and join the discussion on Double Your Pleasure Mod thread at civfanatics. You can play the mod on my DYP Earth Map
              or play regular Civ3 on one of my earth maps: 256x205; 180x180 Map; or 140x140.
              For you modders out there I have released a version of the map with no resources. You can get that version Clean 180x180 here or Clean 140x140 here.

Comment

Working...
              X