No announcement yet.

How do I add units / modify tech tree ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I add units / modify tech tree ?

Is it possible to add units and modify the tech tree ? I miss the legion and phalanx for CTP1. Also, can I modify the tech tree ? Which files would I have to look at ?

Thanks for any info

Here are some pices of information about it:

You have to modify the the advance.txt in your ..\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\ to add more advances compare this file with the craddle or MedPack2 versions craddle version can be found in the ..\scenarios\cradle of civilization 1.1\scen0000\default\gamedata\ folder and the MedPack version is called MM2_advance.txt.

If you want to add a picture for your new advance you have to modify the uniticon.txt in the same folder as the advance.txt.

To add the name for your advance you you have to modify the gl_str.txt in your ..\ctp2_data\english\gamedata\ folder.

To add Great Library entries you have to modify the Great_Library.txt in the same folder as gl_str.txt.

For the units you start with the unit.txt. The unit graphics that you see on the map are stored in sprite files. A unit sprite file for CTP2 looks like gu000.spr. You find the sprites in the ..\ctp2_data\default\grapics\sprites\ folder. The unit sprites for CTP1 can also be found in this folder they are called like gu00.spr. To add the sprites for your units you have to modify the file newsprites.txt in your ..\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\ folder. To add the stuff for the Great Library follow the steps for the advances (uniticon.txt, gl_str.txt, Great_Library)

I tryed to make the explanation short therefore I left out examples. But I think it is no problem to copy, paste and modify the code of existing advances and units. So if you need more information about it please ask.

-Martin
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Martin, i'm doing this kind of changes a long ago, but i'm having a problem with only one thihg: At the newsprites.txt it does not give sprite file name it just gives a number. So, how do i associate the number with the file?
      I used to change the sprite file direct from the units.txt, but this number thing is something i always wanted to know?
      "Kill a man and you are a murder.
      Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
      Kill all and you are a God!"
      -Jean Rostand

Comment

In the unit.txt you find a line like:

DefaultSprite SPRITE_PILLBOX

This line reveres to a line in the newssprite.txt:

SPRITE_PILLBOX 123

This is an exaple from the WW2 scenario. The number 123 means that the game search for sprite called gu123.spr. You see the sprite files contain a number in its name. The u indicates that its a unit sprite. A city sprite looks like gc000.spr. c for city. Of course it would be better to put the file name of the sprite into the unit.txt, than we could add more than 200 units or city graphics effects or goods to the game. The fact that the number is located in the newsprite.txt make this number to a unit sprite.

-Martin

Comment

Thank you Martin this makes things much clear.
          "Kill a man and you are a murder.
          Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
          Kill all and you are a God!"
          -Jean Rostand

Comment

Thanks Martin.

I have been able to add the phalanx, chariot, and legion back in. I'm planning on adding some of my own futuristic units.

What files have to be modified in order to get the AI to use new advances ? Is it just 'AdvanceLists.txt' under the aidata directory ? I played a game for several hours before I realized the AI could not move up the tech tree.

Comment

Go to my site

Secure Professional Online File Sharing, Storage, Editing for professionals. We offer a fast yet easy way to deliver and receive any file size in the cloud. Begin receiving financial, tax, QuickBook, loan applications through your secure CUSTOMER UPLOAD page . Flexible Plans makes it cost effective for all businesses.

login: hexagonia
              password: hextapul

I have a modders guide available for download for adding units/advances/wonders, etc (basically it's for working in all of the text files)

Sorry, no SLIC advice though...
              Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
              ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

I have added the hi-tech units, the slinger, amazon units, fantasy units using the mod guide everything works except when I start a game the unit will not show up in the city-manager to build. They will show up when I reload the SLC but only for that turn that I reload it. I have edited the newsprite, unitcon, units, G.Library, gl_str, and the unitbuildlist. Is there something i am missing?Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Comment

Ta'bas did you start a new game afterwards you modified the gamefiles. If you try to load a game that is started before you added some units to the game you will see wired effects. So far I have no other idea what your problem could be.

-Martin

Comment

Working...
                  X