No announcement yet.

A modern artistic genius has died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure, but to me it looks like they clearly link knowledge and presence. Which God does not need to know about stuff, unless they're doubting his omni-powers. So maybe we can all agree that technically he'd count as "being there" if he's omnipresent, but that is not the source of his knowledge if he's omniscient anyway. Unless we assume he's only omniscient because of his omnipresence, which I find is contrary to the idea of omnipotence.
    Blah

Comment

Some philosophers argue that in order to know something, you have to be causally connected to it in the right sort of way. Special relativity means that any kind of causal connection has to be a local one. Therefore, in order for God to literally know everything, he has to be locally connected to everything. So yes, omniscience might in fact require omnipresence. That does seem to put a damper on God's omnipotence. My preferred explanation is that God's omnipotence is so complete that he can do something which appears to limit his powers and yet simultaneously does not limit his powers. So the can god stub his toe on an immovable rock question (I think that's how it goes) is answered with something like yes+no, because **** you and your principle of non-contradiction, I'm God you insignificant ant fart.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I see, Schrödinger's God :hides:
        Blah

Comment

Oh, if it's quantum superposition, then it's |yes> + |no>, with a coefficient in front of each term to denote the probability. But if we're talking Copenhagen, then the superposition is an actual indeterminacy until God is observed and his action is revealed. If there are hidden variables or some such, then the indeterminacy of the wavefunction is merely epistemic and represents our ignorance, but God has, in fact, acted and we are simply unaware of the consequences until measurement. With many-worlds, however, both branches of the wavefunction split off on their own and remain true, even after measurement, so it can be said that God has done and not done some impossible thing.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Sounds like you do know more about this science thing than me??? If you continue like this I have to call you names

Probably "scientist!" or somesuch....

However, I m not sure if God is now basically partisan for all sides simultaneously, or bi-/multi-partisan in everything or whether that would make a difference. Personally I think the whole "I don't need to care a bout contradictions" stance is just an excuse for endless flip-flopperism
            Blah

Comment

LORI IS A THE-IST! LORI IS A THE-IST! NA NANA NA NAAAAA!!!
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Not sure why you put a space between a and theist.

Comment

Working...
                X