No announcement yet.

TA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I might be taking this grading stuff a little too seriously. On the last homework, students had to draw different types of orbits (approximately circular vs. highly eccentric). I did a half page derivation to convince myself that one student's drawing was incorrect so that I could take off half a point.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Well as long as you were having fun...
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• You betcha! Did you know that a comet with a semi-major axis greater than the Earth's cannot have both (a) a perihelion outside the Earth's orbit and (b) a large eccentricity? It must choose.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• No, I did not know that.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• There's a weekly meeting between the prof and the TAs every Monday. Yesterday, I asked what to do about a student in my section who had not yet turned in any assignments or (as far as I know) shown up to class. The professor said there are always a couple students like that, that it's not our responsibility to reach out to them, and that he feels very good about giving those students Fs at the end of the semester because they've worked hard to earn them. He didn't say this in a mean way, just a kind of matter of fact what can you do way. The other TAs were mostly amused by the professor's sentiment.

What's interesting about this scenario is that I used to be that kid. I would sign up for classes, never show up, never turn in an assignment, inexplicably not drop, and fail. I bet no one there suspects that used to be me. I'm not saying I have any sympathy for the student; I hate past me. I'm just saying... the people in that meeting were a tenured professor, grad students on the way to a life of academia, high-achieving undergrads, and me (and a 50-something non-degree-seeking grad student who randomly decided to study astronomy for fun after finishing his first career). So it's very unlikely that any of them can understand my perspective or where I've come from. Makes connecting, or even wanting to attempt to connect, difficult.

Comment

• It seems like you are looking for excuses on why you can't connect, instead of looking for reasons why you can connect
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Have to agree there. I'd be willing to bet that most of us have blown off a class in their careers. I did a few in my early days.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming View Post
                  It seems like you are looking for excuses on why you can't connect, instead of looking for reasons why you can connect
                  I bet you have trouble understanding why I would look for excuses.

Comment

• A dozen or more threads later, I do think we see the picture even if I can't totally understand it.
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Getting people to even this level of understanding is exhausting and, as you can see, time-consuming.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                        I bet you have trouble understanding why I would look for excuses.
                        Nahhh... as rah points out, you've been pretty good over time providing a clear picture of your POV.
                        My comment was more a way of saying maybe you should "try" to look at it a different way.
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
                          I'd encourage it, but keep two things in mind before you start:

- grading is going to take longer than you think
                          Oh god you were so right.

Comment

• Hey, you're graduating and will probably never really see most of them again, so hand out candy grades and move on.
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Remember that the median should be 75%!

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Hm. Mine is an 82. I guess I'm being too easy on them. But then, it's an intro course for non-majors where algebra is the most that's expected of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X