Perseids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perseids

The peak of the Perseid meteor shower is tonight, and there may be up to 200 meteors/hour. Anybody planning on staying up to watch? I don't have the means to go anywhere truly dark right now, but there's a little park by my house which might serve.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

I work tonight, so I should see some, but still too much light pollution to really enjoy it. On the plus side, my children are in the badlands with my parents so they should get quite a show!
    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Overcast and rainy here ... no chance to see the perseids ... but I watched for them one night, several years ago on a holiday (in a small town -> less light pollution). Was able to see a few meteors that night.
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

As an urban dweller I won't have much to look at. I work evenings so I'll look up while waiting for the bus home but I don't expect to see much.
        Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
        I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

I live somewhere pretty dark -though the seeing is never great with a tree-crowded horizon- but God sez, no; look at this nice cloud...
          AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
          JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by Buster's Uncle View Post
            I live somewhere pretty dark -though the seeing is never great with a tree-crowded horizon- but God sez, no; look at this nice cloud...
            Trees don't cause poor seeing; atmospheric turbulence does.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Not current on this. If I go out to take a peek tonight, which direction should I focus my attention.
              Chicago.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                Not current on this. If I go out to take a peek tonight, which direction should I focus my attention.
                Chicago.
                Direction of the Perseus-Constellation, of course
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Bastard. And what direction would that be relative to for those living in Chicago?
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Download the Google Sky app, which gives you a real-time sky map, day or night. Turn it on and point your phone into the sky towards the north until you find polaris, then pan around until you see the Perseids symbol -- which looks kinda like a big asterisk with the word Perseids next to it.

Then point it at the ground and see what the night sky looks like on the other side of the planet.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

The only problem with that is, if I turn on my phone. A secret signal is instantly sent globally and people at work immediately start calling with STUPID questions.
                      As a result, I only turn my phone on a few minutes a month.
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Maybe this helps, then:

Obviously Perseus in Chicago can currently be seen close to the horizon in WNW direction (but I guess you have to wait till the time when you will actually be watching the sky, and look at the map for its location then )

Comment

Thankx. That's actually the best view from my backyard since there are almost no trees blocking the sight lines in that direction.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post

The only problem with that is, if I turn on my phone. A secret signal is instantly sent globally and people at work immediately start calling with STUPID questions.
                            As a result, I only turn my phone on a few minutes a month.
                            No pain no gain.
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Not sure where you live in Chicago, but I'd say look out over the lake if you can. Less light out there...
                              Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Working...
                              X