No announcement yet.

Do you still own your textbooks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My career as a book hoarder started when I was about 10 (~1969) when my grandma and aunt started gifting me a 10 volume enclycopedia and a lot of popsci books on subjects from ancient greek, psychology, fauna & flora, math etc. - I still have them - stopped when I was about 19.

Education books is kind of a joke - I'm a HW engineer but haven't done anything but SW since graduation, but still have them all - anyone interested in an Intel Component Catalog 1982 ? Though, my books about multidimensional math was dusted off a couple of years ago when my company started to look at Big Data.

I can't remember ever throwing out a book - even have a couple that I have never finished.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Where do you keep them all? I figure I've read over 5,000 books over the years.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
        I still have all my notes, handouts, exams, etc. I can't sell those, and they have proven useful occasionally.

To be clear, JM, do you even have undergrad texts? Like, I recently stumbled on my multivariable calculus text from three years ago that I never got around to selling. Is something like that still useful for you? I've found that a lot of relatively low level math/physics stuff can be found online pretty easily.
        Books like the calculus ones are sometimes more useful than what is found on the web but I haven't really used them. I guess I am holding on to them in case they are useful for teaching.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
          Where do you keep them all? I figure I've read over 5,000 books over the years.
          Two layers of books on most shelfs and a number of boxes in the cellar makes my life doable

Fortunatedly we have a very good library system here so the vast amount of my reading doesn't occupy much space - my guess is that I'm up to maybe 4.000 books but hey, I'm a bit younger than you
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

If I had 4000 books in the house, my wife would have killed me. But then we don't have a cellar.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

If I had 4000 books in the house, my wife would have killed me. But then we don't have a cellar.
              Nah, it isn't that bad - I have something like 5-600 books in the appartment and maybe the same in the cellar - the rest was borrowed at the library.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Oh, and I don't have a wife - may explain something including other artifacts a wifey would consider nogo's

F.eks. 1.5 meter of LP's and a LP player

Steven Weinberg

Comment

RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Honestly I have today spent ~200$ on a replacement of my old RIAA amplifier and a new cord (~40$) so I'm now the lucky owner of a NAD Preamp PP4 where both channels works. Now I can listen to all my ole BOC, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep etc. recs and annoy my neighbours (on that point I think I'll have very much fun with a neighbouring telefonesales company where the staff has a habit of doing their sales in the open - Iron Man/Black Sabbat should be interesting with open door to the balcony)

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I'll lay back and listen to music with you ANYTIME. The only group missing was Pink Floyd. (of course that one may not actually annoy the neighbors.)
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I've still got all of my textbooks from undergrad through PhD. I don't want them, but I can't bring myself to get rid of them either. I never use them, other than a few fundamental electronics books. Even when I know something is in one I look it up online anyway because it's easier. Books are a horribly inefficient way to store and retrieve information. So I don't know why...but I still have them.
                        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

I'll lay back and listen to music with you ANYTIME. The only group missing was Pink Floyd. (of course that one may not actually annoy the neighbors.)
                          Well, if you ever get to Copenhagen, then give a chirp.

I have no idea why I don't have any PF neither on LP, Casette nor CD - maybe it was some kind of rebellion against the establishment

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                            My career as a book hoarder started when I was about 10 (~1969) when my grandma and aunt started gifting me a 10 volume enclycopedia and a lot of popsci books on subjects from ancient greek, psychology, fauna & flora, math etc. - I still have them - stopped when I was about 19.
                            Book hoarder here, too. Half my furniture is bookshelves, and my desk is also a book repository.
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Interesting timing on this thread... my wife and I are going through all of our "crap" and pitching a ton of stuff. We were having a discussion on our old text books. I looked at all my advertising books that I've kept and figured out that all of them were no longer relevant in today's advertising world. The business has changed so much. So they are all getting pitched. I really don't know why I've kept them so long.
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I have never sold a textbook; I have given a couple away, when asked. I take a lot of personal satisfaction from my collection; so much so that I have textbooks from classes I have never taken. After buying my required load (used whenever possible), I would then browse the stacks for anything achieving a certain combination of interesting and cheap. This included a rather thick book on constitutional law, and a smallish paperback entitled "The Intellectual Foundations of China", which piqued my interest in Confucianism and Taoism.
                                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                                X