• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nickolson-modern, cruise- post moden?

whats this about now?
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

In my lit class this past semester, the instructor argued that one of the differences between modern literature and post-modern literature is that the former asks questions of ontology, the latter epistemology. So from that frame, Cruise is seeking the truth--epistemological certainty, whereas Nicholson cares only for how the world actually is--ontology. I could write a bull**** 1500-word essay on this if you don't believe, and I'd get an A on it. /me shrugs.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

well it all started when reading that the gov is planning to abolish the blasphemy law. it is an old law that still exists in some european countries.
        I long though that this needed to be done. I once more got excited about this gov.
        in not too long ago they fully legalized gay unions leaving italy the only western european country not to have done it, shaming it, and leading it to do the same.
        societal reforms happen in strides, responding to the popular will.

then my mind went to a great article that either onefoot or cockney had posted. in that there were a lot of truths written and also that syriza is basically a bunch of middle class golden fed dorks that compromise and have betrayed the fight.

a specific phrase stayed in my mind: they are "post modern sellouts".

That's when I stopped agreeing with the article. Because I think that this is a post modern world. If you just dwelve a bit on european politican and philosophical landscapes, most people who know their stuff agree that both nazism and communism were clear children of modernity.

So I thought that from that moment on, the article was unrealistic. It called for a modernity stance on a post modern world.

Nicholson says: (If you don't like the way I do business) I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post.
        That's exactly what I think that government has done, for me, so it was a bit like challenge accepted.
        Also this sort of derision and arrogance Nicholson is displaying is very similar to how almost the whole of the political spectrum was treating syriza
        Last edited by Bereta_Eder; July 26, 2016, 11:57.

Comment

there are a few other metaphores that can be made too.

And I also like the ending

Comment

Working...
          X