Permaculture, Fruit, and Nitrogen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permaculture, Fruit, and Nitrogen

It's been very dry here for most of the last 2 years now. Many of the wells are dry ... our's has a bit of water, but only about 1 gpm at this point. So we haven't watered much. Even so, there are areas of our property that have done well, stayed green. I've decided that most of our 6+ hectares of land are going to be planted in a similar way. We'll still have some greenhouses for the veggies that don't do well out in the open, but the rest is going to be more of a permaculture setup.

So we're planting a lot of trees lately, and trying to get interesting fruit trees/shrubs so we have a good variety and always have something to harbest. As we're on somewhat hilly land in most locations, I've decided to build a series of swales to plant the trees on. These are trenches/berms that follow contour, with the trench filled with organic matter like wood chips, branches, leaves, rice straw/hulls, etc.

This week we potted/planted Loquats, Kumquats, Coco Plum, Yellow Mangosteen, Yellow Pomegranate, Burmese Grapes, Brazillian Cherries, Cherry of Rio de Janeiro, Jackfruit, Kiatkiat, Grapefruit, Acerola, Jaboticaba, Cacao, Coffee, Ice Cream Bean. Also a seedless grape variety.

Lots of beans to serve as a groundcover and do some nitrogen fixing. Then stuff like various types of basil, purslane, and amaranth as they have been doing very well here. That gives us nice color variations and especially the lemon basil gives a nice fresh smell wherever it is.

Sunflowers are already sprouting. They grow very well here when it's dry.

We already had a lot of trees planted. Especially a lot of Malunggay, Madre Cacao, and Gmelina. We planted 2 Narra (Rosewood) trees near the house. We have about 20 Coconuts, a couple Star Apple, some Avocados, one ancient Acacia, and several other large native trees that I don't really know what they are or what they're for.

Have seeds/seedlings for Sapodilla, a few types of Passion Fruit, Acacia baileyana, Kiwi, Salak, Cashew, Pineapple Guava, Thai Tangerina, Ma-Prang Plum, Mulberry, Asian Persimmon, Cassia fistula, Jacaranda mimosifolia, Pomegranate (Red), African Fig, Thai Sapodilla, Cocona, a few types of Guava, Raspberry (not sure what kind, it's growing though, so probably the native type that's not really a raspberry), Meyer Lemon, Surinam Cherry, Yellow Passionfruit, a few varieties of Jade Vine, Rambutan, several types of wisteria, a few different varieties of Mucuna, Strawberry tree, a few varieties of Dragon fruit, and Goji.

I'm looking for other trees/bushes that will grow well in the tropics and are good eating and/or nitrogen fixing.

Katuk (Sauropus androgynus)

I got some Katuk seeds just today in the mail. It is a nitrogen fixing bush with edible shoots/leaves/flowers/fruits and looks nice too. The shoots and leaves supposedly taste a bit like peas, but can be dangerous if you eat too much of them. It's a common ingredient in SE Asian cuisine, and many people like to eat them straight off the tree for a snack.

Malunggay (Moringa oleifera)

We have lots of Malunggay (Moringa) that we've grown from seed and cuttings. We use it along our fencelines since the tree is prolific at making new poles which after you've cut them will generally just start growing once you put them in the ground. It's one of the more nutritious foods in the world, you can eat the roots (taste like horseradish), shoots, leaves, flowers, green seedpods, and mature seeds. I eat the leaves in soups, omelettes, salads, and it even can go well blended up in fruit shakes as the taste isn't that strong.

It flowers throughout the year if you keep pruning it on a regular schedule. The flowers attract a lot of bumblebees and look great too. Malunggay is not nitrogen fixing, perhaps the only drawbacks to it. Still brings a lot of nutrients up from deeper in the ground, and is one of the hardiest plants I've found. Even with little rain for the last 2 years, and generally planted on terrible soil it's been growing like crazy. It's also great for shade for many other plants as it grows so fast you can control the amount of shade at a given time of year very easily.

Ice Cream Bean (Inga edulis)

Ice Cream Bean is nitrogen fixing, and you can eat the pulp surrounding the bean. Some people say it taste like vanilla ice cream, though the taste can vary quite a bit from tree to tree ... and the texture isn't like ice cream at all.

Narra (Rosewood)

These are the Philippine national tree. It's difficult/impossible to get a permit to cut them, but the wood is very popular, so they still get logged illegally. They're doing very, very well, about 20' and almost as wide and it's not even 2 years. One of them even flowered on a couple branches so far, bright yellow flowers that sadly just last a day. Narra is nitrogen fixing.

Acacia baileyana

Nitrogen fixing and has profuse yellow flowers. Drought tolerant.

Jacaranda mimosifolia

Not nitrogen fixing, not edible, but it has beautiful purple flowers.

AAHZ tried to read some of the words in this thrade but now my brain really hurts because it was overloaded with too much knowledge.
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Surely if you plant rosewood you can cut it, or there would be no (legal) economic.reason to plant it. I understand that Costa Rica makes such provisions for tree farms. Nothing like that in the Phillipines?
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Probably is a permit for tree farms, but I'm hoping those two grow long past my time.

Comment

can my wife and i visit you some day?

we'll help out
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Sure, but remember Duterte is tough on drugs.

Comment

Tough on drugs is an understatement. He literally declared open season on drug dealers and users.

Comment

So far it seems the killings are being done by the higher ups in the drug cartels, killing all the mid-level management who might think about turning them in. Even here in Bohol, there's been some murders of that sort. Duterte gave amnesty to anyone who turned themselves in (drug users, small dealers) for rehab. A surprising number of people have taken him up on the offer. Of course they'll be asked for info on the higher ups, so they're scared. Duterte was linked to extrajudicial killings of drug pushers/users in Davao and has even talked about reinstating the death penalty. And is getting rid of all the "protectors" in the prisons who would set up rich prisoners with just about anything they wanted.

So yah, don't come here with or to do any drugs.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	landscaping-2016-07-27.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	9102629

We're starting to do some landscaping on the house. Been growing the Bermuda grass from a couple of plugs we got last year. Just keep cutting the patches up into plugs to spread them out. You can see how well the malunggay do along the fence. We planted those about a year and a half ago, and have pruned them several times for poles. The 2 papaya are volunteers that just started growing on a pile of left over cement, gravel, and hollow block waste. We've saved seeds from these as they were better than the hybrids we usually grow. Very prolific and taste good too, we got at least 100kg off both of them over the past year.

There's a couple of the larger pots that I put seedlings in. They were shipped in and several of the non-citrus were in pretty bad shape because of the rough handling/heat. Trying to nurse them back. Not sure if they'll make it, especially the Brazilian Grapes.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	velesan-swales.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	9102630

Here's 3 swales on one of the nearby properties (6600 sq m). Sticks and rice hulls fill the trenches. Pumpkins, Basil, Mung Beans, Garnet Red Amaranth, Malunggay (seed), Madre Cacao (poles), and several types of fruit trees planted. Santol, Jackfruit, Rambutan, and some others. Since it's further away from the house I didn't transplant any of the "exotic" fruit trees/bushes up there. Will be transplanting tomatoes and peppers soon, and once the Madre Cacao poles start sending out shoots we can plant a lot more things in the shade.

Will have at least 3 more swales on that property in the fence and some more outside the fence.

Comment

Got some White Sesban (Sesbania grandiflora) seeds today, have some Red on the way. It's a nitrogen fixing tree/bush, and the flowers and young seed pods are can be eaten.

One of the common names is hummingbird tree.

Comment

Do you have Japanese beetles over there? My trees just got socked.

Comment

I haven't noticed any problems from them. There is an orange leaf beetle here that attacks legumes, like our rosewood/narra ... but it doesn't do much damage to an established tree. It also much prefers cucurbits like squash and watermelon, so we rarely see them in the trees.

Comment

why did you choose to live in such a terrible place?

even before the new president came up, not like that society was functioning on all cylinders
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

From Horsie's Kid's site:

The Philippines: State sanctioned killings

Alex Corvadt – Political correspondent

The Philippines new President, Rodrigo Duterte, has begun his controversial new government as promised. The hard-line new leader lived up to his local nickname as “The Punisher”, doing little to discourage the deaths and violence incited by his inauguration. In the space of a week of taking power, at least 100 people linked to drug use and distribution were dead as police and civilians across the country took up his call to “go ahead and kill” them.

“These sons of whores are destroying our children. I warn you, don’t go into that, even if you’re a policeman, because I will really kill you.”

His shocking message seems to be working though – local media is reporting that hundreds of drug addicts and dealers have surrendered to authorities while there is still an amnesty, concerned that they too would be killed in the police crackdown or civilian witch-hunts.
                              More behind the link

Comment

Working...
                              X