SMACX Source Code Database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMACX Source Code Database

Thought I'd throw this up were it'd actually get read by members, since it's holy grail news to SMACX modders and coming out in about 11 days...
    Originally posted by scient
    I have made leaps and bounds working on the database over the past two weeks. I really am starting to get an idea of all the different classes for the game and how they work together. Well, at least in my head. I've been trying to mark up and identify as much as possible in the database, especially related to the interface code and how it interacts with logic and structures. I have merged 95% of what was in the PPC binary into my database related to function names and custom variable parameters. As of now, my database is more complete along with the huge amount that I have identified on my own. I have tried to keep the same naming conventions so everything stays fairly uniform.

I've decided on a cut off and release date, 6/15. I have done most of what I wanted to accomplish for a public release and should finish up the rest by then.
    http://alphacentauri2.info/index.php...94926#msg94926

The popular unofficial patches for Alpha Centauri are (mostly) developed by disassembling the SMACX binary, terranx.exe, and writing new assembly code into the game. Which is pretty tricky, because it's hard to work out what uncommented assembly is supposed to do.

Previously, various modders have slowly built up individual notes on bits of the code, but these notes are quite limited and not shared. Now, thanks to Scient's hard work and the fortune of finding a version of the code with unobfuscated function names, we're now almost ready to publish a new database that documents how the game code works in more detail than ever before.

This database isn't of direct use to most players, but, combined with a decompiler and PRACX, it will lower the barrier of entry for modders and will allow more ambitious mods to be developed.

AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
    JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

*SMACX forehead
    Blah

Comment

[engages in some SMAC-talking]

No pasarán

Comment

Any SMACers here into modding, or just playing mods?

No pasarán

Comment

Have Firaxis given permission for people to freely use their source code?

Comment

No, I replied as if the question was sincere, Brian Reynolds told one of my guys about five years ago that he didn't think a copy existed anymore, and that's as close as any of my regulars have gotten to getting any kind of answer from anyone at Firaxis about anything.

If you want a boring conversation, I have an IANAL legal opinion that it's defensible, though...

No pasarán

Comment

Well, Brian Reynolds hasn't spoken for Firaxis in 16 years...
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Firaxis doesn't have the rights to SMAC.

Decompiling and messing with a game you own, changing things only on your own computer, is fine. (It may not be technically legal, but I don't think anyone has ever gotten in trouble for it.) Any use (personal or distribution) of a game you don't own could potentially be piracy. I doubt anyone who would be interested in this doesn't already own their own copy.

Comment

Really? Y'all want to kick around the legality of game modding? Huh.

No pasarán

Comment

Being a nerd means never having to say you're sorry about what you choose to obsess over.
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                      Firaxis doesn't have the rights to SMAC.

Decompiling and messing with a game you own, changing things only on your own computer, is fine. (It may not be technically legal, but I don't think anyone has ever gotten in trouble for it.) Any use (personal or distribution) of a game you don't own could potentially be piracy. I doubt anyone who would be interested in this doesn't already own their own copy.
                      I think you should read the EULA more carefully.

Comment

Why? I said it may not be technically legal, but I don't think anyone has ever gotten in trouble for it. Do you have any evidence that anyone has ever gotten in trouble for modding a game that they own for their own use? (Not distributing the mod and/or game files.)

Comment

The key phrase here is 'not distributing the mod'. If someone is making it literally for their own use, then unless the developers have released rights over the source code (which almost never happens) then you'd be breaking the law but you're quite correct that no-one would be likely to care. Start distributing that code however, or a mod created by altering it or indeed instructions on how to alter their code and suddenly you're into some very murky and potentially perilous legal territory.

Comment

Given that Civilization and SMAC have been modded for 16 years ... many of which are distributed on this site ... and no issues ... I'm pretty sure there's no real danger here.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                              Given that Civilization and SMAC have been modded for 16 years ... many of which are distributed on this site ... and no issues ... I'm pretty sure there's no real danger here.
                              There's a big difference between a mod and a mod created using disassembled source code. Engine code is the lifes blood of developers, and sections of the code can remain almost unchanged for an extremely long time. Paradox for example have been releasing games using Clausewitz since something like 2007, which means it must have existed since probably 2005 at the latest in its earliest incarnation.

The only reason I'm bringing this up is because although developers tend to be fine with modding communities (hell, its a great way to keep interest in your games going) once you start ****ing with their source code the situation can change quite quickly, especially if their legal teams get wind of it. SMAC is old, but that doesn't mean they don't still have sell on potential given its popularity.

TLDR: Do what you want, but this isn't as simple as 'mods are fine'.

Comment

Working...
                              X