Toxinology or toxicology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toxinology or toxicology

It seems that only the latter are known in inglish but some mad scientists apparently call their organisation "International Society on Toxinology".

Is this another case of americans destroying the english language ?
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

To be fair if it weren't for the muricans, none of us would speak english

Comment

also
      Toxinology is the specialized area of science that deals specifically with animal, plant, and microbial toxins.

which is different than toxicology

one is toxic
      the other is toxin
      (both greek derived)

bonus

Official HD Video "Toxic" by Britney SpearsListen to Britney Spears: https://BritneySpears.lnk.to/listenYDSubscribe to the official Britney Spears YouTube ch...

Comment

Yeah, I know but for example http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/sp.../?q=Toxinology doesn't accept the term.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

what a toxic attitude

Comment

ALso they would not be destroying the english language ... but rather the greek one
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

well I could be wrong but a toxin is a natural toxin that is toxic
              a toxic substance is evidendtly toxic but can be artificially chemically derived or harvested from nature

on the matter of the greek language I'm glad we're out with the polytonic and into the monotonic because let's face it polytonic was just alexander's way of teaching the barbarians how to pronounce greek and we no longer need it

Comment

It's quite interesting to discuss this with other europeans, though it would be nice if some brits or yanks could chime in

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Don't worry. Within 20 years you will all have to switch to Mandarin anyway.
                  “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

not orange? :/

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
                      well I could be wrong but a toxin is a natural toxin that is toxic
                      GENIUS.
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                      X