Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[civil] How does "opinionated evil" compare with "tangible evil"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [civil] How does "opinionated evil" compare with "tangible evil"?

Think of an evil action (I'm not going to give an example because no matter how extreme the example somebody is going to disagree with it out of principle - or maybe not, Gepap hasn't posted here in awhile, but better safe than sorry). Somebody knowingly committing that evil action without any potentially mitigating intent gets -100 Karma points in Fallout. (Different actions might accrue more or less negative Karma, so stick to just one for purposes of this highly scientific sort-of poll.) This is "tangible evil."

The other extreme is somebody who isn't even thinking about that evil action, let alone committing it. They get 0 Karma points in Fallout.

The question then is where does "opinionated evil" fall on the continuum? These are people who have the (un-ironic, honestly held) opinion that an evil action would be good/awesome/whatever, but aren't committing that act. Examples are:

1. Somebody who has the malignant opinion but never voices it
    2. Somebody who has the malignant opinion and posts about it on Reddit
    3. Somebody who has the malignant opinion and expresses it via The Media (books, television, radio, etc)
    4. Somebody who has the malignant opinion and teaches it to children (either their own children, or somebody else's while acting as teacher / day care worker / whatever)
    5. Somebody who has the malignant opinion and votes for or otherwise supports people of some influence who voices the malignant opinion (and does this become more evil if the person of influence is able to further spread / enact the malignant opinion)

Where would these fall on the -100 -> 0 Fallout Karma spectrum?

In addition, is it worse to have an opinion that reflects reality vs an opinion about purely hypothetical evil: "I think that X would be good/awesome/whatever" while X is actually being enacted by other people and the person holding the opinion is aware of this; vs. "I think that X would be good/awesome/whatever" where as far as the opinion holder is aware X is not actually being enacted by anybody else nor was it enacted by anybody in the past
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

I don't think these things can be readily quantified, especially since a lot depends on the particular situation or evil contemplated. For example, thinking about evil is much more dangerous when it's an evil that you're in a position to commit, e.g. a funds manager thinking about embezzlement or a teacher thinking about pederasty. I guess those would be -75 or something, if we're assigning -100 to the act itself. Thinking about it regularly is playing with fire.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

1: -5
      2: -10
      3: -15
      4: -100
      5: -50

Comment

Dude, give Sloww a break.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
        X