GOP "debate"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bernie Sanders for president!
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Oh good. I feel much better about myself now .
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Bernie Sanders is staunchly pro-gun and anti-immigration.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
          He'll have a hard time winning over racial minorities with those stances

Comment

I'm not sure I can stomach an election now that Stewart and Colbert are both gone ...

Comment

At some point Trump's accountant is going to tell him he's had enough fun.
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

This seems to shape up like McCain and miss Alaska all over again, but in the superlative
                "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
                  Yet somehow he's managed to win over MrFun

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                    If by "staunchly anti-immigration" you mean "supported the 213 immigration reform movement," then, yes.
                    The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty…we will be remembered in spite of ourselves… The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the last generation… We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth.
                    - A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
                      Only if people believe that these are actually his stances. I suppose there will be bumper stickers saying this, and there will be those whose news comes from reading bumper stickers who will believe it.

Saunders is certainly more moderate on immigration reform and gun control than many on the left, but he isn't "staunchly" anything but moderate on those issues (unlike other issues, where he can be a wacko).
                      The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty…we will be remembered in spite of ourselves… The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the last generation… We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth.
                      - A. Lincoln

Comment

Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

The Trump mouth appears to be getting the Trump in a spot of bother. LOL

I guess we won't be hearing much more about him if he keeps the motor mouth operating.

Or am I mistaken?

Comment

nope right on target

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                              It does seem like a strange way of doing things. Start out having to be extreme and then somehow moderate that to be able to actually have a chance of being elected. Why are the moderates not engaging with the primary process, why is it just the people on the edges that seem to matter?
                              This is a side effect of the effort to bring amateurism/innocence to politics. In an attempt to fight corruption and "deals" you end up with the current system.

I personally think that a direct democracy model as in Switzerland is better that representative democracy with "Back-Room Deals" to make the whole thing work smoothly.
                              Quendelie axan!

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Og View Post
                                This is a side effect of the effort to bring amateurism/innocence to politics. In an attempt to fight corruption and "deals" you end up with the current system.

I personally think that a direct democracy model as in Switzerland is better that representative democracy with "Back-Room Deals" to make the whole thing work smoothly.
                                The direct democracy in switrzerland surely has produced some good decisions ... for example banning transiting goods traffic from the streets (and forcing the transiting trucks to pass through switzerland via train).

On the other hand not everything decided in switzerland was good (at least not in the beginning). For example women in switzerland gained the right to vote as the last country in europe ... the first referendum (in which only men could vote) in 1959 produced a majority against giving women the rights to vote.
                                Only after the second referendum in 1971, women were given the rights to vote ... but still not in every canton. In some cantons women were barred from voting on local decisions till 1991 (when it was decided that federal law (with regarded on womens suffrage) superseded local law).

(and I actually wonder how direct democracy would work out if it wouldn´t be implemented in a small country like switzerland, but in a rather large country like germany or the USA)
                                Last edited by Proteus_MST; August 10, 2015, 09:39.
                                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Working...
                                X