Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'll be taking a lot of time off work boss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll be taking a lot of time off work boss.

GE is offering unlimited paid vacation.
    SO what do you think of this concept?
    As a worker, it's intriguing.
    As a manager, it appears to be a nightmare.

My managing style is generally, if you employees act like adults, treat them like adults.
    If they act like children (most low level hourly positions) you have to treat them like children.
    But this one seems to be the biggest temptation yet to act like children.

General Electric started offering unlimited paid time off to 30,000 of its employees this year. It's likely now the largest provider of such a policy among the 2% of employers that offer such policies.

General Electric (GE) this year started to offer what it calls a "permissive approach" to paid time off.

Under the company's new policy, there no longer will be any limit set on the number of vacation, sick and personal days that executives and those in the so-called senior professional band may take.
    The idea: They can take time when they need it, assuming they're getting their work done and have gotten their manager's approval.
    The new policy currently affects 30,000 GE employees, or 43% of its salaried U.S. workforce.
    Related: Branson offers some dads one year leave on full pay
    The move is part of a broader cultural shift at GE, which recognizes that it can be more successful when it trusts and empowers its employees, according to Cara Hume, an HR leader in GE's power and water business.
    And the company will no longer keep track of the days those employees take, although some may need to report their absences for certain work-related purposes unrelated to HR record-keeping.
    Only 2% of employers offer unlimited paid time off policies to their workers, according to a recent survey by the Society for Human Resource Management.
    To date, the benefit has been offered mostly by smaller firms and start-ups. But GE -- which employees 307,000 people worldwide -- outflanks them all in size and stature.
    Branson's jaw-dropping vacation policy
    Branson's jaw-dropping vacation policy
    Last year, Richard Branson of Virgin Group made waves when he announced he would offer a small group of Virgin employees an unlimited time off policy. His money quote: "If working nine to five no longer applies, then why should strict annual (vacation) policies?"
    Tribune Publishing, which owns the Chicago Tribune and Los Angeles Times, tried to adopt a similar approach for its salaried employees but reversed its decision when it got serious pushback on the idea.
    One reason the move may not be popular at some companies: Employees who carried over unused vacation days from prior years might no longer be paid for them should they leave the company.
    But at companies that already had a use-it-or-lose-it policy, that wouldn't pose a problem.
    Related: Tribune reverses course on unlimited vacation policy
    Unlimited time off policies can be a great recruitment and retention tool for employers.
    And they can benefit employees if they truly feel free to take advantage of them without concern that they will be seen as "abusing" the privilege. After all, if the boss has it in for you, the definition of "abuse" can be very narrow.
    Some workplace experts have expressed concern that employees at some companies may end up taking less vacation time than they might if they had just been allotted a fixed number of days because the parameters of how much is okay to take aren't clear.
    But unlimited time off policies are relatively new, and measuring their impact may be difficult if companies don't keep track of the days taken.
    Many surveys show that under traditional vacation policies, Americans usually don't take all the vacation days they've earned, and typically stay in touch with the office when they do take time off.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

In a lot of places that have tried it, it hasn't worked well because the people who need to take more vacation end up taking less and the people who are inclined to take too much do take too much.

Many of the examples I have read about have ended up with the employees overall taking less vacation.

""We looked at the numbers, and it turned out we had a problem," he writes. "The problem wasn't that people were taking too much holiday. Quite the opposite, in fact.""

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Both those articles seemed to be talking about professionals.

I can guarantee that most minimum wage unskilled employees would take advantage of it.
      I worked at a place where the sick policy was based on number of occurrences in a year.
      It was just simply amazing that all the workers knew exactly how many they had and when they would drop off.
      Within a week of one dropping off they would astonishingly be sick again.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

That's effectively how I am now. I do have official vacation time, but haven't used it because I come and go as I please. I let my direct report know if I'm going to be gone for more than a couple days. As long as things get done, nobody cares. In my case that usually means I show up for meetings and hang around my office some. It also means that I'm occasionally working at 1AM just because I happen to be awake, so it's not all in my favor.

I'm probably out of the office more than I would be if it was tracked better, but if it was tracked better I also wouldn't work at home.
        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

I've had operation managers that were on call basically 24/7. And that's how I treated them. As long as the stuff got done.
          But it was not official policy. Manager discretion is one thing and harder to abuse. Official policy is easily abused.
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yeah, it's not official policy for me either, but frankly it's easier for me to work out of the office than in because there are so many fewer interruptions. It really is a case of just knowing your employees well enough to know which ones will abuse it. That said, if it's official policy you can avoid the appearance of playing favorites and the associated whining about "Timmy gets to do it, why can't I?"
            "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

just knowing your employees well enough to know which ones will abuse it.
              DING DING DING DING DING

A lot of management classes always tried to say treat everyone the same. Utter Horsecrap.
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I would be your #1 employee.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                  I can guarantee that most minimum wage unskilled employees would take advantage of it.
                  I worked at a place where the sick policy was based on number of occurrences in a year.
                  It was just simply amazing that all the workers knew exactly how many they had and when they would drop off.
                  of course they would, if they had any sense!

Many surveys show that under traditional vacation policies, Americans usually don't take all the vacation days they've earned, and typically stay in touch with the office when they do take time off.
                  perhaps these companies do this kind of thing because they're really progressive. or perhaps they do it because it looks good, but know that it's unlikely that people will take advantage because of the insane long hours culture that obtains in the US (and a few other places).
                  "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Yeah, the links that JM posted kind of supported that.
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

ah, i hadn't read them, but i probably should have.
                      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

When I was younger, I never used all my vacation days, but as I've gotten older, I get a lot closer to it. I still end up a day short here or there, but I've enjoyed trips to China, the PYRAMIDS, London, etc, on the company dime so I have never really felt cheated.
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                          Both those articles seemed to be talking about professionals.

Your article also says that it is just professionals. Has any company tried this at a lower level?
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

An excellent move, as long as they know what is the reasonable amount of work for each position, there should be no issue, ie if the management structure is sound, which at GE it should be.
                            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

People are afraid of being seen taking advantage of the system while their coworkers aren't. Its hilariously counter intuitive that occupational guilt prevents people from abusing it or even using a similar amount as stipulated.

As for myself, I'd take about 4-5 weeks off a year total - but I can't do that because I'm integral to business function.
                              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                              X