Squeaky bum time for Cameron.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeaky bum time for Cameron.

Hilarious. Everyone knew what he wanted was to drag concessions out of the EU to keep Britain in, and then use that as a springboard to ensure the referendum result was in favour of staying in the EU.

Well, now it looks like no concessions are going to be available, and he faces a straight in/out referendum with no magical "Third Way". He's going to have to pick a side now, and it's going to get messy.

David Cameron has accepted there may be no change to the EU's treaties to accommodate Britain's demands ahead of a referendum, the BBC understands.
    Mr Cameron has instead argued for an "irreversible lock" and "legally binding" guarantees that EU law will be changed at some point in the future, says the BBC's Nick Robinson.
    No 10 said the PM remained committed to "proper, full on treaty change".
    Eurosceptic Tory MP John Redwood said the EU could not be trusted.
    "We should never trust what the EU says. They change their mind more often than I change my shirts, which is very often," Mr Redwood said of the guarantees Mr Cameron is seeking.
    But Mr Redwood said he was "less exercised" about the legal structures used by the government to achieve reform.
    Mr Cameron's commitment to hold a referendum by the end of 2017, with negotiations wrapped up by next summer, meant it was always a possibility that any treaty changes would be enacted at a later date.
    'Non-negotiable'
    As recently as January, Mr Cameron said he would be demanding "proper, full-on treaty change" in his negotiations with the EU.
    Downing Street insisted the prime minister remained committed to that position and would not agree to any deal which was not clear about that.
    A No 10 spokesman said the British people would be able to judge this for themselves when they vote in the upcoming in/out referendum on Britain's membership of the EU.
    David Cameron has accepted it may not be possible to change the EU's treaties before the UK's in/out referendum on the EU, the BBC understands.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
    Hilarious. Everyone knew what he wanted was to drag concessions out of the EU to keep Britain in, and then use that as a springboard to ensure the referendum result was in favour of staying in the EU.

Well, now it looks like no concessions are going to be available, and he faces a straight in/out referendum with no magical "Third Way". He's going to have to pick a side now, and it's going to get messy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33278440
    What will occur first? A government collapse, or the referendum.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I can't see a collapse, but I can certainly see a re-run of the Major years coming up. With the Tories limping along to the next election, tearing themselves apart with in-fighting.

Comment

You should write a cross letter to your overlord the Duchess of Cornwall so we in the ruling class can all share in the joke.
        born to lead, born to rule

http://www.concrete-online.co.uk/wp-...bullingdon.jpg

Comment

Oh dear.

Comment

The reality is as soon as the polls see a reasonable chance for brexit the EU will start offering all sorts of concessions. It will be a penis they cannot get enough of. like a first date they don't want to give away to much but the second it is clear there is a viable alternative legs will start spreading.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Samantha says that sometimes, the penis bit.

Pity she isn't talking about me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                I can't see a collapse, but I can certainly see a re-run of the Major years coming up. With the Tories limping along to the next election, tearing themselves apart with in-fighting.
                I can too, although I wouldn't totally rule out an early election.

Comment

i doubt the negotiations will go well. cameron is a terrible negotiator and seems incapable of building a coalition with other leaders, even those who have fairly similar views. there's also the way that other europeans see the british, as exemplified by this video.

"The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

stop giving him ideas, he'll start writing in to Downing Street again

Comment

What exactly is a squeaky bum?
                      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

a bum that squeaks.
                        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                          I'm assuming it's the gay pedophile equivalent of Aerosmith's F.I.N.E. ("I hear that your so tight, your lovin' squeaks")

So this:

Comment

It means when someone is scared of something. Time to get nervous basically.

Comment

It's a reference to the noise made when you are constantly moving on your seat at a sports event, as result of nervous tension over what you are seeing and hoping for.
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X