230,000+ Casualties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 230,000+ Casualties

The other thread about the ongoing catastrophe of the situation in Iraq created by the US, got me to thinking about what might be the real, hidden, cost of the US' wars in Iraq and Afghanistan:

According to the U.S. Department of Defense, between 2001 and 2014 some 230,000 soldiers and veterans were identified as suffering from so-called mild traumatic brain injury (TBI), mostly as a result of exposure to blast events.
    Kind of strikes home the insidious nature of warfare that you could leave the scene of a battle without a single external mark on your body - seemingly uninjured - but your mind might have received a 'fatal blow' that results in years down the line that you decide to kill your family and yourself, for example:

The bodies of the soldier’s husband and two daughters were found at home at Fort Hood, where suicide involving service members has been a persistent problem.

KILLEEN, Tex. — An apparent murder-suicide involving the husband and the two children of a soldier who had recently returned from a deployment to Afghanistan is providing a new twist to a persistent problem at the sprawling Fort Hood Army base here.

Soldier suicides have been dismayingly familiar in recent years at Fort Hood, which is north of Austin. In 2010, officials reported that 22 soldiers had taken their own lives that year, including a murder-suicide involving a sergeant and Iraq war veteran who shot his wife before killing himself with the gun.

But this week, Fort Hood has been struggling to make sense of a suicide involving not a service member, but one’s family.
    That's 230,000 potential ticking timebombs in the US, with easy access to firearms - perhaps this is the real enemy within...?

And their spouses:

She said Army leaders told her that they lacked the ability to track suicide attempts by family members of Army personnel because there were too many to track. “I was stunned,” Ms. Mullen said, according to The Associated Press.
    The Invisible War on the Brain
    Last edited by I AM MOBIUS; April 8, 2015, 05:48.
    "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

yeah there is risk but there is also duty, heroism and sacrafice.

A lot of veterans resent the idea that everyone is damaged, or the damaged should be feared rather than embraced and helped.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I agree. And at least recently it would appear that the governments responsible for sending men into war are now at least starting to acknowledge the issue of brain trauma, instead of simply sweeping it under the carpet. That in itself is a huge shift in opinion!
      "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

Bull****. Obama's "caring" is a tragic farce.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Psychologically damaged service members--whether or no they are more dangerous than other people--are not the enemy.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
            Bull****. Obama's "caring" is a tragic farce.
            Why would you come out with something like that? Is your partisan brain so fried that everything Obama does has to immediately be evil? Are you that far gone?

Comment

At least among current/former Army members the risk of suicide is not at all correlated to number or duration of deployments, which throws a big ice cold bucket of water on the damaged goods thing.

Comment

Yeah, don't let U.S. Department of Defense statistics get in the way of your opinions, Reg Collider the Lesser...

Comment

Working...
                X