Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aluminum batteries appear to be awesome...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum batteries appear to be awesome...

I always hesitate to post science news here, since I'm not exactly on the forefront of things these days. But this looks pretty awesome...

New aluminum-ion battery offers an ultrafast charge and a safer alternative to conventional batteries
    By Simon Meadows
    Last updated 4/7/2015 11:06:29 AM
    New aluminum-ion battery offers an ultrafast charge

Scientists have invented the first high-performance aluminum battery that's ultrafast-charging, long-lasting and inexpensive.

Researchers from Stanford University in California say the new technology offers a safe alternative to many commercial batteries in wide use today.

This will be good news for Smartphone owners who know only too well that it can take hours to charge a lithium-ion battery. The Stanford team reports unprecedented charging times of down to one minute with the aluminum prototype.

"We have developed a rechargeable aluminum battery that may replace existing storage devices, such as alkaline batteries, which are bad for the environment, and lithium-ion batteries, which occasionally burst into flames," said Hongjie Dai, a professor of chemistry at Stanford. "Our new battery won't catch fire, even if you drill through it."

Prof. Dai and his colleagues describe their novel 'aluminum-ion battery as an ultrafast rechargeable aluminum-ion battery'. Aluminum has long been an attractive material for batteries, mainly because of its low cost, low flammability and high-charge storage capacity. For decades, researchers have tried unsuccessfully to develop a commercially viable aluminum-ion battery. A key challenge has been finding materials capable of producing sufficient voltage after repeated cycles of charging and discharging. An aluminum-ion battery consists of two electrodes: a negatively charged anode made of aluminum and a positively charged cathode.

"People have tried different kinds of materials for the cathode," Prof Dai said. "We accidentally discovered that a simple solution is to use graphite, which is basically carbon. In our study, we identified a few types of graphite material that give us very good performance."

For the experimental battery, the Stanford team placed the aluminum anode and graphite cathode, along with an ionic liquid electrolyte, inside a flexible polymer- coated pouch. The electrolyte is basically a salt that's liquid at room temperature, which assists it's safety.

Aluminum batteries are safer than conventional lithium-ion batteries used in millions of laptops and cell phones today,Prof. Dai explained. "Lithium-ion batteries can be a fire hazard," he said, pointing to recent decisions by United and Delta airlines to ban bulk lithium-battery shipments on passenger planes.

"In our study, we have videos showing that you can drill through the aluminum battery pouch, and it will continue working for a while longer without catching fire," Prof. Dai added. "But lithium batteries can go off in an unpredictable manner – in the air, the car or in your pocket. Besides safety, we have achieved major breakthroughs in aluminum battery performance."

As well as charging speed, durability is a important factor. Aluminum batteries developed at other laboratories usually died after just 100 charge-discharge cycles. But the Stanford battery was able to withstand more than 7,500 cycles without any loss of capacity. "This was the first time an ultra-fast aluminum-ion battery was constructed with stability over thousands of cycles," the authors wrote.
    By comparison, a typical lithium-ion battery lasts about 1,000 cycles. Another feature of the aluminum battery is flexibility. You can bend it and fold it, so it has the potential for use in flexible electronic devices. Aluminum is also a cheaper metal than lithium.

Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

If true then great but I wonder about voltage and capacity.
    Last edited by Dinner; April 8, 2015, 05:39.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

There are lots of fast-charging batteries already, the question is durability and capacity, as Oerdin mentioned. I did research into the subject in my senior year of high school (part of a graduation requirement at TJ) and at the time the most promising thing seemed to be super capacitors with digital voltage regulators, but they don't seem to have advanced much recently and have horrible self discharge and the regulators have a lot of overhead. Hopefully this pans out.
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

It may have a low flammability but burning Aluminium is tricky to extinguish ..
        Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

I am still banking on lithium air batteries like the ones IBM made a few years back.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I'm really hopeful this or another technology pans out because a whole ton of emerging technologies are held back by our crappy batteries, including electric cars.

Comment

Aluminum has always been something of the holy grail. It is easily the cheapest and most available highly reactive metal.

The battery would work because potential difference in aluminum ion states is huge. For example, combine aluminum with black rust (Fe2O3) and you get a thermite reaction at about 2500°C.

J

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                Aluminum has always been something of the holy grail. It is easily the cheapest and most available highly reactive metal.

The battery would work because potential difference in aluminum ion states is huge. For example, combine aluminum with black rust (Fe2O3) and you get a thermite reaction at about 2500°C.

J
                The problem is volatility. The battery has to have high energy density, but also not explode when dropped.
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Aluminum does not explode when dropped, even when mixed into a thermite compound. That's why you need to use a high temperature ignition source, like a magnesium strip.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                    The problem is volatility. The battery has to have high energy density, but also not explode when dropped.
                    As TMM says, it's stable. This is due to high threashold energy. The problem is the dealing with the threshold. Necessary voltages might be an issue. Lithium is pretty much the opposite and more expensive as well.

J

Comment

This is an article from MIT on metal air batteries generally. The interviewee, Cody Friesen, may be related to my college roommate. I'm checking.

J

Comment

Working...
                      X