Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
    Will someone reply to my question?
    Were names like peter and george and john jewish names or were they made up to fit the occasion?
    Did not reply b/c I didn't know and figured an "IDK" response would be more aggravating than none at all.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Ok. It's not that all of them mean something concrete in greek but some certaintly do. So I was just wondering.
      That steams from sitting on the same table with some jewish (israeli) friends and other friends from all over and I was watching around and thought holy sh!t, if nomatology is concerned we're basically powning everyone in here.
      But then I looked at the israeli friends, and said, nope that's not true, those (greeks) of us that have christian names, have their names so they outrank us at the nomatology ancienticity game.
      Anyway hehe

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
        I'm still not totally sure why I'm religious, though I know that I am. I think the bottom reason is that what most or all major religions have in common is not so much God but the notion that human beings are sick and broken. I find this to be true, so I follow the advice of people who've been thinking about human brokenness for a long, long time. I allow that, being so broken, we may have gotten any number of things wrong. But it still seems better to do the best I can, from my limited perspective, to become less broken. Really I don't have any choice, it seems; true nihilism is not psychologically feasible, and I can't swallow attempts to downplay our bugs or recast them as features. That leaves religion, and I find Orthodoxy the most compelling of faiths.
        As always, my universe-consuming cult is open to all.

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
        A lot of theologians would say that this is a very wise statement, FWIW.
        Yeah, maybe, but then they'd go on to talk about about how God is three entities in one and all that jazz, which sounds rather definitive to me.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Well, not really. Any decent theologian will preface by saying this is what we/I believe God to be, therefore CYA .
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
            b/c for some reason this page is perpetually reloading itself ("waiting for ib.adnxs.com" flickering rapidly in the lower corner, no matter what I do), and it's annoying as hell. It's been doing this since I came back yesterday.
            Yes. This. 100% Who's running this mad house?!
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
              Will someone reply to my question?
              Were names like peter and george and john jewish names or were they made up to fit the occasion?
              There were no disciples named "George", I think you're getting them mixed up with the Beatles.
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

ringo 5:14
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I've been having trouble loading the pages of Apolyton. I'll get the home page then pound away for a half minute to get the list of forum pages, then pound away trying to get any of them to load, then when one loads I have trouble opening any threads, then when loaded it won't scroll. Funny thing, that's all corrected after having loaded one thread.
                  "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
                    There were no disciples named "George", I think you're getting them mixed up with the Beatles.

indeed, indeed

Γεωργός = farmer
                    Γεώργιος = George

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                      ringo 5:14
                      "And when the day of judgment came, I found my companions had deserted me, and none remembered me any longer, neither did any man listen to the sound of my cry."
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

ah, but john comes from hebrew and it means gracious

So George means farmer
                        John means gracious

Comment

paul seems to be roman/latin and means small or humble

nice

Comment

and constantine means steadfast/ constant (latin based)

well whatdoyouknow

Comment

and sava means old man apparently

well wise man more like

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                                This thread seems like as good a place as any for my question.

So I'm taking a medieval history course this semester, and we've just gotten to a bit about Christian persecution of Jews. Accusations of blood libel and host desecration, slaughtering Jews on the way to Jerusalem while crusading, making them wear distinctive clothes, all that jazz. But there's one part of the whole Christian antisemitism thing that I've never really understood. That is...

...why is Christ's crucifixion a bad thing? (Antisemitic) Christians "blame" Jews for killing Jesus (for some reason forgetting the Romans) and thus don't like Jews. (We're ignoring the many possible nonreligious aspects of why there was persecution of Jews here.) Except that without Christ's crucifixion and subsequent resurrection, there is no washing away of sin and no chance of salvation through Christ and no Christianity at all. So why is killing Jesus a blameworthy event that "justifies" some really ****ed up behavior later on?
                                The Jews didn't just crucify Christ. They persecuted the early church.
                                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                                X