He is risen!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
    when He heard Ben had joined the seminary JC had some serious second thoughts about rising this year
    It was a sunny day in Winnipeg, so Jesus probably saw his shadow and winter is over!!!

....as for the April 1 joke - Luke 23:34
    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

He is Risen, Indeed! Alleluia!
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I thought that this was Nikolai celebrating that his bosom buddy BK was allowed to post on poly again - which is just as plausible as JC rising again...
        "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

perhaps they merely finished their altar boy rape room and need to disguise their true celebration
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Is Nikolai the altar boy in this scenario?

PS Easter is awesome because I got to eat a chocolate Darth Vader head!
            "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

Comment

Strictly speaking, the Resurrection is an eternal event--we say "He is risen" and not "He has risen" b/c God's salvation transcends the ordinary rules of time and space. Every day is an intersection with eternity. When we say "He is risen," we are not commemorating some dusty historical event as an interesting retrospective, but recognizing that even today is an echo of that first dawn visit to the tomb. The important thing is not that one man died at one time, and that that man's tomb was found empty a short time later, but the fact that the death and the tomb mean the power of death is forever broken.

At least, that's the kind of thing the priests like to say. On the other hand, you Western *****es were still a week early, so get with the program.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Yay, more pretension!
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

This thread seems like as good a place as any for my question.

So I'm taking a medieval history course this semester, and we've just gotten to a bit about Christian persecution of Jews. Accusations of blood libel and host desecration, slaughtering Jews on the way to Jerusalem while crusading, making them wear distinctive clothes, all that jazz. But there's one part of the whole Christian antisemitism thing that I've never really understood. That is...

...why is Christ's crucifixion a bad thing? (Antisemitic) Christians "blame" Jews for killing Jesus (for some reason forgetting the Romans) and thus don't like Jews. (We're ignoring the many possible nonreligious aspects of why there was persecution of Jews here.) Except that without Christ's crucifixion and subsequent resurrection, there is no washing away of sin and no chance of salvation through Christ and no Christianity at all. So why is killing Jesus a blameworthy event that "justifies" some really ****ed up behavior later on?
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

You answered your own question. It's antisemitic propaganda.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I mean, I get that it's propaganda, but I'm trying to give antisemites the benefit of the doubt by assuming there is some coherence to their hatred. It seems entirely plausible to me that there is a slightly more complex (and consistent) explanation for why the Jews killing Jesus was a bad thing that isn't good sound bite material.
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

You're looking for logical consistency in religion? Seriously?

Comment

Or in bigotry, for that matter. I don't think you're going to find a rational answer for this one, Lori.
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

You're ignoring the distinction between the effects of one's actions and one's intentions in doing them there. I mean, I can't speak for the medieval types here, and they ignored the part where the Jews they were killing were the distant relations of the ones who did the killing--but even that's not really inconsistent, at least in the West where they held to the Augustinian conception of Original Sin. If everyone is somehow to blame for one guy eating an apple millennia ago, all Jews bearing the guilt of their ancestors isn't much of a stretch. I guess. Anyway, these people were not consequentialists or utilitarians. The good or evil of an action was dependent on its intentions, not its outcome. And in that very limited sense I agree with them; if I try to shoot up a school, but through rank incompetence bring an unloaded gun and thus cause no harm, that does not make my actions morally neutral.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Elok is a nerd.
                                Order of the Fly
                                Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Working...
                                X