Calirofrnia has about 1 years worth of water left

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*adds strawberries to garden plans*
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Do they (in california) still waste lots of water by using lawn sprinklers on a wide scale, just so their own grass on their front yard is as green and lush as that of the neighbor?
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
        Do they (in california) still waste lots of water by using lawn sprinklers on a wide scale, just so their own grass on their front yard is as green and lush as that of the neighbor?
        Out here, from what I understand, some homeowners qualify for some kind of rebate up to a certain amount, if they replaced their grass lawn yards with drought resistant plants, thus requiring less water usage for yard maintenance. IIRC from what one of my friends mentioned to me, sometime ago.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
          I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

California is split into many water regions. Marin County's reservoirs are full. The Central Valley reservoirs are almost empty. Santa Barbara is taking their desalinization plant out of mothballs. I think Los Angeles and San Diego will be drinking large amounts of desalinated water within 5 years.
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

How hard could it be to genetically engineer cactus and scorpions to taste like strawberries?

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                California is split into many water regions. Marin County's reservoirs are full. The Central Valley reservoirs are almost empty. Santa Barbara is taking their desalinization plant out of mothballs. I think Los Angeles and San Diego will be drinking large amounts of desalinated water within 5 years.
                South Bay Area here, is hit hard.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                  How hard could it be to genetically engineer cactus and scorpions to taste like strawberries?
                  Irrelevant. California hipsters will not eat/grow GMO. :-/
                  Indifference is Bliss

Comment

How hard could it be to genetically engineer California hipsters to eat/grow GMO?

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                      We should let the market fix the problem.
                      Correct
                      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I mean come on. The price of water will go up until it is profitable to supply water in other ways, and some of the farming will move to places that are more arable. You know, the same way this has worked for thousands of years?
                        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Sure, what possible downside could there be to water and food becoming more expensive?

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                            I mean come on. The price of water will go up until it is profitable to supply water in other ways, and some of the farming will move to places that are more arable. You know, the same way this has worked for thousands of years?
                            And the farmers will go out of business etc...
                            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Perhaps, with regards to agriculture it may be a good idea to look at Israel ... they seem to be very efficient with using modern agriicultural tchniques to have green fields in desert terrain ... amongst others by the use of Drip irrigation
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I really cant see how privatizing/commoditizing a basic utility in California could possibly go wrong. You naysayers are all enroneous in your distrust of the invisible hand over basic necessities.

Comment

Working...
                                X