I soon may owe Texas an apology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I soon may owe Texas an apology

A Republican Texas lawmaker filed a bill Monday to completely deregulate marijuana in the Lone Star State, striking any mention of the plant from state laws.

"I don't believe that when God made marijuana he made a mistake that government needs to fix," wrote state Rep. David Simpson, R-Longview, in a column in TribTalk on Monday.

The 24-page bill begins: "The following provisions are repealed," then lists dozens of Texas statutes related to marijuana. If the Legislature were to approve the bill, Texas would have no laws regarding pot.

Simpson told KETK-TV in East Texas that he supported regulating marijuana like the state regulates "tomatoes, jalapenos or coffee."

The bill takes a markedly different approach to marijuana law reform than other states. Colorado, Washington, Alaska and Washington, D.C., have approved legislation to legalize pot within a detailed framework of taxation and regulation, but it would not be so in Texas under Simpson's bill, which would leave the crop under only basic agricultural regulations.

In his column, Simpson reflected on his Republican beliefs in small government and individual liberties, and he invoked biblical verse to explain his initiative to repeal marijuana prohibition. He told KETK he wants to "reframe the current marijuana discussion" by talking prohibition repeal in terms of common conservative values.

His perspective resonates with 85-year-old Houstonian Ann Lee, who founded the group Republicans Against Marijuana Prohibition and traveled to Washington D.C. last week to advocate legalization at a conservative political conference.

"Prohibition goes against the fundamental principles of the Republican party. Prohibition is against the fundamental principle of freedom," she said. "When you look at the facts, it's not conservative to support prohibition."

The Republican Party did not respond to repeated requests for the party's platform on marijuana laws.

In December, a bipartisan coalition of Texas lawmakers introduced a bill to reduce penalties for marijuana-related offenses. Then, a spokesman for the Sheriffs' Association of Texas told the Chronicle "the sheriffs of Texas are going to bring all their influence to try to stop the legalization of marijuana at any level."

Simpson's bill still must pass through six more stages of approval to become law.

Well, everyone except for that Sheriffs association. Fuck them.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Well, they're sheriffs. What do you expect? *listens to Bob Marley*
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Respect for American values? Freedom? Justice? You know, that sort of thing
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
        Respect for American values? Freedom? Justice? You know, that sort of thing
        Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
        Well, they're sheriffs. What do you expect?
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

You'd think Sherrifs would be the first people lining up to support not having to waste their time on weed.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
            You'd think Sherrifs would be the first people lining up to support not having to waste their time on weed.
            I'm sure a lot of law enforcement feels this way. Sadly, they don't speak up or out very often.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
              I'm sure a lot of law enforcement feels this way. Sadly, they don't speak up or out very often.
              In a lot of cases it would be inappropriate for them to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                In a lot of cases it would be inappropriate for them to do so.
                While I don't necessarily disagree, I think it would have to be equally as inappropriate to make statements to the contrary.

And that's my point... really.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

seems relevant
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

It's going to happen.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

"I don't believe that when God made marijuana he made a mistake that government needs to fix," wrote state Rep. David Simpson, R-Longview, in a column in TribTalk on Monday.

This is some beautiful reasoning.
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

he definitely is speaking Republican
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

technically speaking though, the modern strains of marijuana are pretty much man-made
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X