Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What conspiracy theories and pseudoscience did you used to believe in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What conspiracy theories and pseudoscience did you used to believe in?

I'm asking about the past since if you still believe in a certain form a claptrap you're ofcourse not going to recognize it as such.

I used to buy in this theory that the pyramids weren't built by the ancient Egyptians. Can't remember many specifics but it had something to do with the stars and Atlantis on Antartica.

Used to believe in UFOs and a cover-up by the govts.

I also believe there was a conspiracy by the banks to suppress the gold price (some might remember me posting about it here).
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

I used to believe Bobby Kennedy's assassination was a cover up, and hey I still do!

Comment

Oliver Stone had me going for a while with JFK.
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

BK is real and will return.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I believed in the Euro being a good thing.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Agent Orange causing cancer.
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

faith in humanity ...

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                Agent Orange causing cancer.
                PS if anyone wants to argue about this I have one of my statistics textbooks recommended to me by my advisor (who is both a PhD statistician and a licensed medical doctor) already open to Section 3.1.2: The Effects of Agent Orange on Troops in Vietnam -- An Observational Study. Fight me
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

capitalism and representative democracy.
                  "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

PS if anyone wants to argue about this I have one of my statistics textbooks recommended to me by my advisor (who is both a PhD statistician and a licensed medical doctor) already open to Section 3.1.2: The Effects of Agent Orange on Troops in Vietnam -- An Observational Study. Fight me
                    I'm not going to fight you, I'm just going to think you're a ****ing revolting person. Or have you forgotten how you and Reg kept insisting this insulting bull**** was true when MTG was here, despite the fact he'd lost friends to that ****? You need to stop making sweeping offensive statements about things you know ****ing nothing about. Either that or admit you're an ******* who pisses on the memory of veterans.

Comment

I don't particularly care either way, but as usual, I suspect you are wrong.

Brief google search confirms... once again.

I think you need to be the title holder of "always wrong" over Oerdin... quite frankly.

As I said, I don't care. So don't (or do, if you want) waste your time arguing. Anyone interested in actually learning about the topic is free to do the research.

But basically (for those interested in actual facts and not what HC's advisor thinks ... I'm almost tempted to ask if he's also an actuary )

Since 1994, the federal government has directed the Institute of Medicine (IOM), part of the National Academy of Sciences (NAS), to issue reports every 2 years on the health effects of Agent Orange and similar herbicides. Titled Veterans and Agent Orange, the IOM reports assess the risk of both cancer and non-cancer health effects. Each health effect is categorized as having one of the following:

Sufficient evidence of an association
                      Limited/suggestive evidence of an association
                      Inadequate/insufficient evidence to determine whether an association exists
                      Limited/suggestive evidence of no association
                      Sufficient evidence of an association

Soft tissue sarcoma

Non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)

Hodgkin disease

Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL), including hairy cell leukemia and other chronic B-cell leukemias

also, from the same document

National Toxicology Program

The US National Toxicology Program (NTP), formed from parts of several government agencies, evaluates exposures that may be carcinogenic (cancer-causing).

The NTP has not classified the phenoxy herbicides, including Agent Orange, but it lists 2,3,7,8-TCDD (dioxin) as “known to be a human carcinogen.”

International Agency for Research on Cancer

The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) is part of the World Health Organization (WHO). Its major goal is to identify causes of cancer.

IARC has not rated Agent Orange itself, but it classifies the phenoxy herbicides, including 2,4-D and 2,4,5-T, as “possibly carcinogenic to humans.” It lists 2,3,7,8-TCDD (dioxin) as “known to be carcinogenic to humans.”

Environmental Protection Agency

The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) maintains the Integrated Risk Information System (IRIS), an electronic database that has information on human health effects from exposure to substances in the environment. The EPA is now reviewing whether 2,3,7,8-TCDD (dioxin) is carcinogenic to humans.

(For more information on the classification systems used by the NTP, IARC, and EPA, see our document,
                      BUT I'M SURE YOUR ADVISOR KNOWS BETTER

idiot

It's actually a pretty clear cut case.

Originally posted by wiki
                      A 1969 report authored by K. Diane Courtney and others found 2,4,5-T could cause birth defects and stillbirths in mice.[22] Several studies have shown an increased rate of cancer mortality for workers exposed to 2,4,5-T. In one such study, from Hamburg, Germany, the risk of cancer mortality increased by 170% after working for 10 years at the 2,4,5-T-producing section of a Hamburg manufacturing plant.[15] Three studies have suggested prior exposure to Agent Orange poses an increased risk of acute myelogenous leukemia in the children of Vietnam veterans.[10]

Once again... I'll trust the science.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I will just point out that HC is technically wrong, since it is a reproduceable lab experiment to cause cancer with chemicals present in Agent Orange. If the question is binary yes or no with no other qualifications than "Agent Orange causes cancer", the answer is yes.

The applicable question is what dose levels and subjects. (Also I'd wager HC hasn't been leaving an open bottle of 2-4-D in his room yet.)

Comment

He doesn't need to, according to Reg it's so safe you can drink it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                            I will just point out that HC is technically wrong, since it is a reproduceable lab experiment to cause cancer with chemicals present in Agent Orange. If the question is binary yes or no with no other qualifications than "Agent Orange causes cancer", the answer is yes.

The applicable question is what dose levels and subjects. (Also I'd wager HC hasn't been leaving an open bottle of 2-4-D in his room yet.)
                            Yup.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Back on-topic, I was a staunch Republican until I was 16.

Comment

Working...
                              X