Fun! Frolic! Fratricide!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
    Yeah, I think spanking is far better than something that might cause the kid to have low self esteem/yelling or something. I mean depending on the yelling obviously. If it's like, "GET OFF THE ROOF YOU'RE GONNA DIE" or "NO DON'T PUT YOUR HAND ON THE BURNING HOT PAN" that's fine.

But what do I know I'm not a parent.
    Your opinions are certainly valid despite your status as a non-parent. There are a lot of stupid ass people who have a ton of kids and who are also terrible parents. You're certainly a smart guy who is thoughtful on the subject. That's probably more than can be said about 99% of actual parents.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

To me it depends on your definition of spanking.
      My father rarely spanked us. When he did, it was never intended to damage, but just to get our attention. The suffering on our part was the realization of his disappointment.
      I spanked my daughter a few times using the same concept. Once because I was really frustrated and nothing else was working. (and probably the one time I shouldn't have done it)
      But if used like this, I support it's use. If physical damage is the goal, then I could never support it's use.

The nuns took it a step farther but there was no lasting hurt. It did help keep order in classes that public school teachers would have considered twice the optimal size for keeping order.
      While I have a harder time approving that, I do believe it was necessary to keep order.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
        Your opinions are certainly valid despite your status as a non-parent. There are a lot of stupid ass people who have a ton of kids and who are also terrible parents. You're certainly a smart guy who is thoughtful on the subject. That's probably more than can be said about 99% of actual parents.
        Please leave me out of this discussion.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

wrt: spanking, my thoughts aren't based upon the studies... merely anecdotal and based on observation
          Spanking is good!

As long as the adult female you are with is consenting...
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Laz is three. Much of what is appropriate may vary from child to child; Laz is not particularly put out by yelling (not that either of us is much good at yelling), and is generally so introverted and patient that timeouts don't do much. Loss of privileges does upset him, but at his age it has to be fairly soon after b/c he doesn't have the mental capacity to connect causes and effects that are too far apart.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
              Laz is three. Much of what is appropriate may vary from child to child; Laz is not particularly put out by yelling (not that either of us is much good at yelling), and is generally so introverted and patient that timeouts don't do much. Loss of privileges does upset him, but at his age it has to be fairly soon after b/c he doesn't have the mental capacity to connect causes and effects that are too far apart.
              Maybe you should get a DNA test to ensure that I didn't father your kids. Sounds like me.

Good luck.
              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I propose punishing future Laz. When he's bad now, set some time in the future (preferably when he'll be a teenager) and tell him that he will be grounded during this period.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
                  Spanking is good!

As long as the adult female you are with is consenting...
                  QFMFT

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                    I propose punishing future Laz. When he's bad now, set some time in the future (preferably when he'll be a teenager) and tell him that he will be grounded during this period.
                    This.

Be sure to record him now as you explain his deferred punishment. Then when he's older, play it back for him if and when he thinks it is unfair.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

This.

Be sure to record him now as you explain his deferred punishment. Then when he's older, play it back for him if and when he thinks it is unfair.
                      I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

You could explain crime and punishment to him, and going away to a dark scary place where he wouldn't see Mommy or Daddy for so long that it would seem forever.
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                        X