Interstate handgun transfer ban overturned in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interstate handgun transfer ban overturned in Texas

BELLEVUE, WA – The Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms today won a major federal court ruling in a case involving interstate handgun

CCRKBA WINS SAF-FUNDED CASE ON INTERSTATE HANDGUN TRANSFER BAN
    Wednesday, February 11th, 2015

BELLEVUE, WA – The Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms today won a major federal court ruling in a case involving interstate handgun transfers in which the judge applied strict scrutiny to determine whether a ban on such transfers meets constitutional muster.

The case, which was financially supported by the Second Amendment Foundation, is known as Mance v. Holder. It involves plaintiffs residing in the District of Columbia and Texas, and could have far-reaching ramifications, according to CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb.

“Our lawsuit strikes at the heart of a debate that has been ongoing for several years, since the creation of the National Instant Check System (NICS),” Gottlieb said. “With the advent of the NICS system, it makes no sense to perpetuate a ban on interstate transfers of handguns.”

Indeed, in his ruling, U.S. District Court Judge Reed O’Connor of the Northern District of Texas, Fort Worth Division, writes, “(T)he Court finds that the federal interstate handgun transfer ban burdens conduct that falls within the scope of the Second Amendment.”

The judge later added, “By failing to provide specific information to demonstrate the reasonable fit between this ban and illegal sales and lack of notice in light of the Brady Act amendments to the 1968 Gun Control Act, the ban is not substantially related to address safety concerns. Thus, even under intermediate scrutiny, the federal interstate handgun transfer ban is unconstitutional on its face.”

CCRKBA and the individual plaintiffs are represented by Virginia attorney Alan Gura and Texas attorney William B. “Bill” Mateja of Fish & Richardson in Dallas.

“It is bizarre and irrational to destroy the national market for an item that Americans have a fundamental right to purchase,” Gura observed. “Americans would never tolerate a ban on the interstate sale of books or contraceptives. And Americans are free to buy rifles and shotguns outside their state of residence, so long as the dealers respect the laws of the buyer’s home state. We’re gratified that the Court agreed that handguns should be treated no differently.”
    Hopefully it gets upheld as it moves further up the chain.
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Seems like both a commerce clause issue and a 2nd amendment issue. It'll be interesting to watch this one.
      I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
        “Americans would never tolerate a ban on the interstate sale of books or contraceptives.
        Interesting statement. It seems like the same people who would use this argument are the same people that would support such bans rushing to cite "states' rights"...

Hypocrisy

I'm only comforted by the fact that gun owners are statistically more likely to die as a result of firearms than non-gun owners/civilized people... either by suicide or "accidental"/negligent discharge. So it isn't all bad.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Gun owners seem to be addicted to guns and they have harmful consequences. Guns should be classified as scheduled drugs and confiscated by the DEA.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedotard View Post
            Gun owners seem to be addicted to guns and they have harmful consequences. Guns should be classified as scheduled drugs and confiscated by the DEA.
            I generally don't think bans work when it comes to things like plants or refined substances that require only an intermediate level of skill to produce. However, very few people have the skillset, resources, and equipment needed to manufacture firearms. I would support a nationwide ban (under ideal conditions).

A gun factory is a lot easier to identify and shut down than a home marijuana grow or moonshine operation. Guns are also much more inefficient to smuggle than drugs due to the increase weight to revenue ratio.

However, as a matter of policy, I think it is possible to see even further reductions in violent crime without making any policy changes to firearm control. As a courtesy to responsible gun owners (a bit of a contradiction in terms, but whatever), I'd be less apt to advocate for a nationwide gun ban. I think there are ways to legislate away a lot of the problems with guns and still allow gun owners to enjoy their hobby.

I do not, however, accept the notion that guns are necessary to perhaps overthrow the government. That's a completely absurd, immoral, and unrealistic thing to believe in. If when backed into a corner, that's the only real argument a person has for why civilian gun ownership should be allowed, that person... well... should be considered no different than say religious extremists who justify flying planes into buildings.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
              I'm only comforted by the fact that gun owners are statistically more likely to die as a result of firearms than non-gun owners/civilized people... either by suicide or "accidental"/negligent discharge. So it isn't all bad.
              Not to mention the fact that this is in Texas...
              "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by I AM MOBIUS View Post
                Not to mention the fact that this is in Texas...
                becoming less of a shithole with each new spanish speaking resident and their assimilated children

Texas will be a blue state one day. Perhaps in 2020.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

That's why they want the guns, I'm guessing, to prevent that from happening...
                  "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

Thank God for the federal government.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                      Interesting statement. It seems like the same people who would use this argument are the same people that would support such bans rushing to cite "states' rights"...

Hypocrisy
                      Depends on the people. I got this from the Liberal Gun Club feed on FB.

And people who own swimming pools are far more likely to drown, people who own cars are far more likely to die in a car wreck...
                      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Must suck if you own a car, a swimming pool and a gun...

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
                          Depends on the people. I got this from the Liberal Gun Club feed on FB.
                          Agree. My trolls are aimed more towards the conservative folks.

And people who own swimming pools are far more likely to drown, people who own cars are far more likely to die in a car wreck...
                          There are a lot of poor life decisions one can make. Owning a gun isn't the only one.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Not fencing a pool when you have small children at home is worse than owning a gun IMHO.
                            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

perhaps

but that's like saying getting your finger smashed by a hammer is worse than having a toe smashed
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X