No announcement yet.

Next Game of Thrones book The Winds of Winter won't be out until 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm more of a "call the midwife" historical fiction fan...

GET OFF MY LAWN!
    I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
      I've avoided the series just because I hear it described as basically one of those premium cable tits-and-treachery miniseries like The Borgias or The Tudors. Only there's zombies and dragons and stuff. Not really my scene. Also everybody apparently has the most ridiculously generic post-Tolkien high fantasy name, like Taethrys of Tilmarion.
      It's not really about tits. It would be a shame if the gratuitous and occasional display of said items offends so much as to cause you to avoid it. The better elements of it are about politics and war, and the clash of rival civilisations. Sometimes treachery will be involved, as is the case with politics in real history. The ratio of dragons and zombies (and other such supernaturalage) to the overall sweep of events and narrative is fairly small really. In fact, for those who are hoping to see such creatures the general feeling is "get on with it, where are they?".

I know many sneerers at the fantasy genre who have enjoyed the TV series and/or books. I have my own criticisms of the books, and I think that HBO have done a better job of telling the core story - which is a good one. It is now, surely, certain that they will finish their version before GRRRRRRM.

Comment

It really is about tits. But it's about tits AND the other stuff you said.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It's possible that HBO will even manage to make Dorne interesting. I look forward to the new series.

Comment

It's about deconstructing fantasy tropes, dammit.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
              I really enjoyed (even loved) books 3-5 of WoT when I was in High School. I read and re-read them. The first book by itself didn't amaze me (I wasn't in love with the series until I read the third book... the same thing happened to me with Harry Potter), and by the time I was in college and Knife came out I though that he had lost direction and decided to read them all when he finished. I am not at all sure that Sanderson would find the direction and I haven't read any books since that one.

I disliked the first book I read by Sanderson and didn't finish it (it was last year or the year before, and I am pickier now). I am not sure if I would have fallen in love with WoT now.

I think (and thought) that GRRM was a better author than RJ, but in HS I didn't love aSoIaF. I don't think I ever loved it the same way, I have basically only reread it when a new book has come out. The books are just too harsh and not enough fun (especially some scenes in 3 and 4). I am still invested in the story though and will buy each book as it comes out. Many of GRRM characters are great characters but I don't particularly like them. This is true with some other authors who write good books but who I don't have any intention of re-reading (china mieville or iain banks for example).

The last time a new book came out I didn't re-read aSoIaF, but than I don't re-read things like I did in HS and College. Probably I do need to re-read but I doubt if I will in 2016 either.

JM
              They had long since gotten amazingly boring before he died. I had to stop reading them. It seemed he was just writing for a check.
              Anybody could have probably done better, But Sanderson was a breath of fresh air with a lot more plot and creativity.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
                It's not really about tits. It would be a shame if the gratuitous and occasional display of said items offends so much as to cause you to avoid it. The better elements of it are about politics and war, and the clash of rival civilisations. Sometimes treachery will be involved, as is the case with politics in real history. The ratio of dragons and zombies (and other such supernaturalage) to the overall sweep of events and narrative is fairly small really. In fact, for those who are hoping to see such creatures the general feeling is "get on with it, where are they?".
                I don't really care about occasional nudity; I roll my eyes at empty sensationalism, where the boobs and gore are all there is. If I want to look at women naked, I have the internet, I can even see Daenaerys Targwageron's without slogging through the episode. I've read numerous clickbaity articles which claim that, in recent seasons, a woman has gotten raped for something like three or four sequential episodes (or perhaps it was just in the same season, IDK). That's something of a turn-off too. But what troubles me most about these accounts I've heard is that it's an essentially nihilistic universe--there's no real good guys, no moral focus, just people stabbing each other in the back, or front if they're feeling brave, until eventually enough ambitious people are dead that the high king of whatever is determined by process of elimination. I want somebody to root for, or some overriding theme beyond a fishbowl crowded with bettas.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

You're honestly trying to claim that you need a stereotypical 'good guy' in order to engage with a show? Jesus christ, never watch The Wire dude..

Comment

I don't really care about occasional nudity; I roll my eyes at empty sensationalism, where the boobs and gore are all there is. If I want to look at women naked, I have the internet, I can even see Daenaerys Targwageron's without slogging through the episode. I've read numerous clickbaity articles which claim that, in recent seasons, a woman has gotten raped for something like three or four sequential episodes (or perhaps it was just in the same season, IDK). That's something of a turn-off too. But what troubles me most about these accounts I've heard is that it's an essentially nihilistic universe--there's no real good guys, no moral focus, just people stabbing each other in the back, or front if they're feeling brave, until eventually enough ambitious people are dead that the high king of whatever is determined by process of elimination. I want somebody to root for, or some overriding theme beyond a fishbowl crowded with bettas.
                    There are definitely overriding themes in GRRM's work, but they're not remotely happy themes.
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

It's also worth adding that there are various characters in GoT that you can root for. You just can't guarantee that they'll survive, and that adds a whole extra dimension to proceedings.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                        It's kind of amazing that he won't be releasing a single book in the time it's taking me to finish my bachelor's degree.
                        He has released several new books during that period and that is the problem. He keeps working on other **** instead of the book everyone wants.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

As if there was any doubt, Hafthor Bjornsson —aka "The Mountain" from Game of Thrones— recently proved that he is a very strong man. The Mountain had already been named Europe's strongest man ...

The actor who plays The Mountain, Ser Gregor Clegane, (or at least the current actor since the first one died) had already been named Europe's strongest man but now he has broken a 1000 year old Viking record.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I want somebody to root for, or some overriding theme beyond a fishbowl crowded with bettas.
                            While the grittiness is depressing, it doesn't reach the point where that is all there is or where I dislike all characters. It has almost, for part of the world at least, reached the point where I am starting to wonder how the people who live there take it all.

I don't necessarily like the same characters as others. For example, while I think he is an interesting character and I like reading about him, I don't particularly like/root for Tyrion. At least not like others. There are also some characters who I start liking or stop liking.

But there are definitely characters to root for (unlike some series), and I think most people would root for Ned, Davos and Brienne.

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                              You're honestly trying to claim that you need a stereotypical 'good guy' in order to engage with a show? Jesus christ, never watch The Wire dude..
                              I don't know what you mean by a "stereotypical" good guy. I feel bad for King Lear, and he's a vain, pompous fool. And I have no intention of watching The Wire, or most any other TV show. I'm listing the reasons I don't read the books: they (supposedly) take place in a world bereft of beauty or goodness. Basically a cage match between Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini and Tojo. Who gives a damn who wins?
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                                http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles...lifting-record

The actor who plays The Mountain, Ser Gregor Clegane, (or at least the current actor since the first one died) had already been named Europe's strongest man but now he has broken a 1000 year old Viking record.
                                You left out the key part which is that the previous record was set by THOR.

Comment

Working...
                                X