Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Australia gives Knighthood to Prince Philip - er, ... A Prince Philip appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
    careful Sava, the Newscorp shadow state data mines
    and?
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
      I also know, because there are only one or two degrees of separation between us as Australians, that Rupert would secretly loathe all those drones that work for him on Foxnews. Useful idiots as Lenin put it so well.
      How's he feel about WSJ?

WSJ is actually a very nice newspaper I think. They keep their conservatism in check in their articles and only really let it loose in the editorial section.
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I just worked it out - there is one degree of separation between old Horsie and Rupert Murdoch - we have a mutual friend.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

via Rupert Murdoch, I suspect we are either 3 or 4 degrees separated

I mean

aside from poly
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Prince Philip's affiliations in Australia

Prince Philip's formal involvement with Australia, according to the British Monarchy database:

Honorary Life Member
            Air Force Association of Australia (The Royal Australian Air Force Association)

Patron In Chief
            Alfred Group of Hospitals (Alfred Health)

Life Member
            Athenaeum Club, Melbourne

Royal Fellow
            Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering

Patron
            Australian Carriage Driving Society

Honorary Life Member
            Australian Institute of International Affairs

Field Marshal
            Australian Military Forces

Patron
            Australian Outward Bound Trust

Patron
            Australian Rugby Football League, Board of Control

Life Member
            Australian Underwater Federation

Patron
            BirdLife Australia (was Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union (Birds Australia)

Honorary Life Member
            Canberra Polo Club

Honorary Freeman
            City of Melbourne

Honorary Member
            HMA Cruisers Association

Patron In Chief
            HMAS Canberra/Shropshire Association

Life Member
            HMAS Hobart Old Comrades' Association

Patron
            Ian Clunies Ross Memorial Foundation

Honorary Member
            International Assembly of National Organisations of Sport

Life Member
            Naval Association of Australia

Patron
            Norfolk Island Flora and Fauna Society

Honorary Member
            Returned Services League of Australia, New South Wales Branch

Marshal
            Royal Australian Air Force

Colonel In Chief
            Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers

Admiral Of The Fleet
            Royal Australian Navy

Honorary Life Member
            Royal North Australian Show Society

Patron
            Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron

Admiral
            Royal Yacht Club of Victoria

Commodore In Chief
            Sandringham Yacht Club, Australia

Chief Patron
            Surf Life Saving Australia

Honorary Member
            Sydney Legacy

Honorary Member
            Sydney University Tiddlywinks Society

Royal Fellow
            The Australian Academy of Science

Colonel In Chief
            The Australian Army Cadet Corps

Honorary Member
            The Australian Club

Honorary Fellow
            The Australian Institute of Building

Honorary Fellow
            The Institution of Engineers, Australia

Honorary Life Member
            The Institution of Radio and Electronics Engineers, Australia

Honorary Life Member
            The Melbourne Cricket Club

Life Member
            The Naval and Military Club, Melbourne

Life Member
            The Returned and Services League of Australia

Honorary Fellow
            The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners

Honorary Member
            United Commercial Travellers Association of Australia Limited

Life Member
            United Service Club of Brisbane

Honorary Member
            University Club, Sydney

* The names and forms of many of these organisations have changed over the years. Some appear to be defunct.
            The Sydney University Tiddlywinks club is not defunct, we've just gone underground
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
              we consider the vote of the worst and most stupid amongst us equal to that of the best and the brightest,
              Well, the great thing about monarchy and "the best and brightest" is that being "the best and brightest" has absolutely no bearing on whether one becomes the monarch, and absolutely no bearing on who gets to choose them. Nobody gets any input at all. And that's why we are ruled by a woman with no qualifications at all. So there's no point in dragging any notions of intellectual capability in this.

and we allow corruption and undue influence to reign at every step of the supposedly democratic process. Simply demanding every system is democratic is childish in the extreme, democracy does not equal fairness or opportunity, those have to be fought for issue by issue with the best solution being found for each problem individually.
              Accountability is crucial. Crap presidents can be voted out. Crap kings are rather harder to remove.

Answer me this, if a non-democratic system could offer you a more equal, fair and just society, would you still insist on a democratic one?
              Yes. Because with democracy come accountability and a mandate to lead. However your challenge reads like "If you could have a unicorn would you still demand a regular horse?".
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

There are some places where monarchs seem to do a better job than a democracy likely would. Example: Jordan. But it's pretty hard to argue that case for Britain.

Comment

The monarchy is like a airship, looks pretty in the air, but costs a fortune and is useless to boot.

Comment

It's sort of nice to have someone in one of the old kingdoms playing the king/queen role.

I don't see why it should be the eldest child or son or what have you though, surely any nobility would do (so the tourists/tabloids/etc can talk about their grandmothers and what not).

Maybe they could be elected (or appointed by the PM) for 5 year terms.

JM
                    Last edited by Jon Miller; January 27, 2015, 07:54.
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                      There are some places where monarchs seem to do a better job than a democracy likely would. Example: Jordan. But it's pretty hard to argue that case for Britain.
                      I hope you are never actually in charge of anything.

ever
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                        it's funny to hear you wetting your pants about nazis in the greek thread when you're such perfect fodder for the far-right.
                        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

while i would support the monarchy's removal (along with the expropriation of the entire aristocracy), it is about the least serious constitutional problem with the UK.
                          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                            I hope you are never actually in charge of anything.

ever
                            I'll make a deal with you: show me an Arab state with a functioning democratic government and I'll show you a unicorn.

I think democracy is great and would love it if more countries were democratic--when combined with limited government. However in some countries you have to admit democracy has ended in dismal failure. Examples include Gaza, Egypt, Iran, and the District of Columbia.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                              Well, the great thing about monarchy and "the best and brightest" is that being "the best and brightest" has absolutely no bearing on whether one becomes the monarch, and absolutely no bearing on who gets to choose them. Nobody gets any input at all. And that's why we are ruled by a woman with no qualifications at all. So there's no point in dragging any notions of intellectual capability in this.
                              You're trying to pull two seperate issues together. we don't live in a state controlled by the monarchy, we're a democracy. A democracy where the vote of an 18 year old whose only interest is the X-Factor and getting laid has the same weight as a vote by an elder who has spent their entire life studying complex issues of state. Throughout history elder figures were given greater weight in community decision making because, shock, they tend to know a lot more about things that are actually important than some dumbass kid does. We're somehow managed to not just throw that idea away but actively promote a form of democracy where looking good on TV is more effective a vote winner than actually knowing what the hell you're doing. You might remember a certain Nick Clegg suddenly becoming super popular after a TV debate because he made the right hand gestures, projected confidence and used just the right set of buzz words. Yay, democracy!

Accountability is crucial. Crap presidents can be voted out. Crap kings are rather harder to remove.
                              Good thing I'm not arguing for a monarchy that actually runs anything then. The current monarchy have done an exceptional job at performing their actual role. Understandably considering they are trained for it their entire lives. Pretty ****ty job all things considered.

Yes. Because with democracy come accountability and a mandate to lead. However your challenge reads like "If you could have a unicorn would you still demand a regular horse?".
                              Not at all, you're insinuating that only a democracy can provide a fair and just society, which is palpably wrong. It's also interesting that you seem to think that only a democracy can provide accountability.

Comment

You're trying to pull two seperate issues together. we don't live in a state controlled by the monarchy, we're a democracy. A democracy where the vote of an 18 year old whose only interest is the X-Factor and getting laid has the same weight as a vote by an elder who has spent their entire life studying complex issues of state. Throughout history elder figures were given greater weight in community decision making because, shock, they tend to know a lot more about things that are actually important than some dumbass kid does. We're somehow managed to not just throw that idea away but actively promote a form of democracy where looking good on TV is more effective a vote winner than actually knowing what the hell you're doing. You might remember a certain Nick Clegg suddenly becoming super popular after a TV debate because he made the right hand gestures, projected confidence and used just the right set of buzz words. Yay, democracy!

Good thing I'm not arguing for a monarchy that actually runs anything then. The current monarchy have done an exceptional job at performing their actual role. Understandably considering they are trained for it their entire lives. Pretty ****ty job all things considered.

Not at all, you're insinuating that only a democracy can provide a fair and just society, which is palpably wrong. It's also interesting that you seem to think that only a democracy can provide accountability.

Comment

Working...
                                X